Dr.

My first post. I went to go see NS teach at my local REI club this past weekend about Property Management. He was entertaining and seemed genuine. His niche is providing housing for people with special needs, mainly disabled veterans and claimed getting these type of tenants can double your cashflow.

Does anyone know much about him?

Has anyone gone down this route before, if so is it difficult working with the gov’t to find potential tenants?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe,

I also heard him speak recently and he is the real deal. His idea of renting to special needs tenants is a good one, although I have found it easier said than done.

Mike

What kind of obstacles did you run in to? I have a social worker friend who at least pointed me in the right direction. thanks for the reply.

Sounds interesting. This is just a guess - but does he do stuff like make a rent house “ADA compliant” and advertise that…then someone who might be in a wheelchair rents the place…and they stay many, many years as they have a house that’s right for them?

Pretty good concept.

MotivatedCEO,

While that is a good idea, that is not exactly what he does. He recommends finding government agencies that will pay up to 3 times the normal rent for a rental. They rent the house and then put multiple clients in the house. These could be VA patients, other ill or disabled patients, etc. Kind of like Section 8 on steroids!!!

As the landlord of these properties, you provide everything: all utilities, dishes, silverware, toilet paper, even maid service. That’s why the agencies are willing to pay so much for the rental.

Mike

Sounds like a nursing home…

The tenants are marginally self-sufficient and the agency provides a house mother type person that keeps an eye on things.

Mike

in some cases the gov’t agency paid for home improvements (i.e. installing hardwood floors to accomodate wheel chair’s etc).

How many of you seasoned people have had legal problems with tenants?
Should I assume all?

Listen carefully,

This guys hit 10 nails or more on the HEAD for you. In my area the City Councils are screaming out for houses for disabled people. Many nursing homes do not want them, they are seen as an headache and finding them a place WITH DIGNITY is a public service, and the [income] bills are tremendous. I know a nurse whose husband walked out, this galvanised her into action, same idea, she ended up with 3 homes for the disabled. last time I heard she was playing Lady Godiva. Money to burn. Read up on this. Its a winner.

What happens if one of these people gets hurt? Sounds like lawsuit city.

Quote: What happens if one of these people gets hurt? Sounds like lawsuit city. Posted by: Rich_in_CT

You are correct, but there are varying degrees of disablement from severe to marginal. I have seen for myself a severe care home, sadly these people do not move and need spoon feeding. The danger is at bath time making sure theyare not scalded. This is too sad for me.

I was speaking about Downs Syndrome Young adults. Many are OK, and really need societys help. Sometimes we need to care for others and these young adults deserve a Samaritan and a House of their own.

Another thing to consider is getting into constructing larger retirement homes / senior care centers. I know of a guy around here who has bought/sold & held those for years, and he has made millions.

JJ,

I too was at CCIA this weekend. Yeah he is an energetic speaker, and while it is true that renting to disabled vets and the like is profitable not to mention emotionally rewarding, the issue is the number of total people that will actually rent.

I am not slamming the idea at all, but before you go get gung ho, find out how many total disabled individuals there are looking for housing currently in your area.

Remember if the people tend to stay in a place for a long time, you are looking for newly disable vets and and individuals. Anyway, as I have stated, no matter what you go after, as long as you go after it with all your passion you will be successful at it.

I am just glad you got out to a local RE Club. Here in Chicago we have a few, so try them all, see which one gets you going.

I have never heard of Dr. I am located in St. Petersburg, FL and actually have a property with three mentally handicap tenants and one caregiver residing at the same location. This landlord tenant situation is a wonderful one. The government pays there rent (always on time) and there is never a problem when it is time to increase the rent. They are very respectful tenants. I wish I had hundreds more like them.

Joe

As anyone ever thought about amputees, dwarfs, semi-illiterates, those in wheelchairs, and what about the blind, or the teenage orhans? Or people who want to keep a blind-guide dog?

I have some money due soon and might go for this idea myself, I looked into it about 10 years ago and was certainly convinced.

While we’re at it trolls, hobbits and wizards surely need accomodations. :wink:

Hehe, All joking aside has anyone looked into this. I am interested in renting to the elderly and disable crowd. There would definitely reduce turnover and repairs. Thanks

I rent fully-furnished rentals but to working travelers, retirees, temporary people of all sorts who would otherwise stay in hotels.

There is large turnover and a lot more work involved. Rent is about 3 times unfurnished. I too am interested in Dr. CF’s business; it would be great to have tenants stay put.

Furnishedowner

Sounds like you guys are finding deals galore, if your biggest problem is who to rent to.

In the DC metro area, the biggest problem is finding something cheap enough to rent.

dlmcgill