Do Property Owner Association lien survive the Texas Tax Sale?

I am interested in bidding for a lot on 5th of October. The Grantor Index indicates that several liens were filed against the owner by the property owner assocaition (POA). I know that HOA’s liens survive a tax sale in Texas. Is POA same as HOA?

I think POA and HOA are the same. Also, not all HOA/POA liens may survive after a tax sale. If you read the declaration of covenants, conditions and Restrictions that was filed by that POA at the county clerk office, it may give you an idea what to expect. The ones, I have read do not typically mentioned about tax sales but do indicate subordination to mortgages. Some indicate that the board of directors have the power to subordinate to any other liens or encumbrances. Trying calling the POA and see if somebody can answer that.

Good Luck,

Ray

Ok, here is one I just read today:

“…the title to each Lot shall be subject to the Vendor’s Lien securing the payment of all assesments and charges due the Association,… Sale or transfer of any Lot shall not affect the Vendor’s Lien provided, however, the sale or transfer of any Lot pursuant to a judical or non-judical foreclosure under the aforesaid superior liens shall extinguish the Vendor’s Lien securing such assesment or charge as to payments which became due prior to such sale or transfer…”

Hey JimmyJoe…how did it go in your tax auction results?? mind sharing your experience during the auction …curious since i’m a newbie in the houston, tx area…

thanks
carlos

No, it didn’t work out. The minimum bid was $19,000, and POA dues were $9000. My upper limit was only $25,000. As I learned from Darius’s course is to stick to your rules.

I had been two other auctions in North Texas. But I didn’t purchase anything. I bid on two lots (2 acres, and 60 acres), but I was out bid by real estate broker. My upper limits were ($8000 for 2 acres and $40,000 for 60 acres), he paid $9300 for 2 acres and $62,500 for 60 acres.

Currently I am looking into a condo in Houston area. I am not sure whether I am going to bid in Nov or not. My brother, who lives in Houston, went by the cond physical location. According to him, there are 3 vacant condos in one building and it seems to him that the building had been neglected for quite some time. Also the complex has about 50% vacant condos. I have to questions, (1) whether it is one-bedroom or 2-bedrooms, (2) whether it has any under ground sewer problems. Hopefully, I will get answers by Friday.