Depreciating Investment Properties

I own several residential investment properties. I would like to know
how properties are depreciated when filing for taxes and are there any implications at the time of sale due to depreciation that has been taken on taxes for so many years.
Also, what sort properties can be depreciated faster than others, so
more taxes can be written off? Furthermore, is it a good investment to have faster depreciating investment properties, for example, it is my understanding that strip malls are depreciated faster than residential units.
Finally, what if I do not have enough income to depreciate the properties from income. Say, if my net income for a year is 40K after expenses, but I need to depreciate 20K.
Thanks a bunch in advance.

Anyone? I am sure everyone on the forum does depreciate their properties every year on the taxes.

The IRS has a publication called Publication 946, How To Depreciate Property, that you should download from their website.

As a general rule, commercial (non-residential) property is depreciated slower than residential rental property. Personal property is depreciated faster than residential rental propery. The IRS has defined classes of property and each class has its own depreciation schedule. All this is explained in the IRS publication.

For rental property you have held for awhile, the unrecaptured depreciation that was allowable or allowed will be taxed at 25% when the property is sold in a taxable sale.

There is a $25K limit on the amount that you can claim as a net passive loss against your other ordinary income. Whatever amount you can’t use can be carried forward to the next tax year as a suspended loss.