Delinquent Taxes

I looked up a property and the tax bill has been delinquent for the past 2 years. I am not sure if the owner is deceased or what. I cannot find a number to the owner but I am going to right her a letter. The question is…Is there a way that I can pick the property up if the owner is deceased by paying the taxes or some other way?

No

Thanks tedjr. Straight and to the point.

Not to discredit any ones post you can acquire rights to the property by making a purchase of delinquent taxes subject to rights of redemption, property encumbrances and other potential claims to the property.

If the person is, deceased and depending how an estate is set up you can purchase the property by way of probate or directly from any descendents of the estate.

johnmichael, how would I go about doing that. Can you elaborate on the method?

This is dependent upon state and county of the subject property. I can not just give a generic reply on this.

Okay the property is in Wake county, NC. How do I go about founding out the information that I need…should I call the tax assessors office or go to the courthouse? What questions should I ask. I found out today that the owner is deceased. I asked his son if he were interested in selling the property. He acted as if he did not know that there was a property. He asked me about where it was and said that he was working on it and about to rent it out. I seriously doubt it. I did not state that the taxes were not paid. Is the anyway that I could pay the taxes and put a lien on the house. I know nothing about liens. The property is still in the deceased owners name.

Question: How do I go about founding out the information that I need…should I call the tax assessors office or go to the courthouse?

Answer: If you want to see if the property taxes are unpaid, you will need to research this at the county assessor office.

Answer: You will also want to research the chain of title to the property as well.

Question: What questions should I ask. I found out today that the owner is deceased. . I asked his son if he were interested in selling the property. He acted as if he did not know that there was a property. He asked me about where it was and said that he was working on it and about to rent it out

Answer: You will need to determine if the subject property has been place in probate by contacting the local probate court and researching the name of the deceased property owner.

Question: I did not state that the taxes were not paid

Answer: So why are we spinning our wheels on maybes and what ifs? Would it not be best to research the background of the property first so that we will know what we are talking about? >:(

Question: Is the anyway that I could pay the taxes and put a lien on the house. I know nothing about liens. The property is still in the deceased owners name.

Answer: What’s the point? You have not checked this out! Depends if the property is behind on taxes or not, Depends if the property is in probate, depends if it has a mortgage and PITI is part of the payment.

How do you know the property is in the deceased owners name? Did you already search the title chain or are we just assuming as this is what most of this post is about.

Would it not be best to learn a little more before you jump?

The devil is in the details my friend and you indicate you spoke to the son - and he has no interest to sell! Therefore, what is the point of all this?

Posted by: gltucker76 Posted on: Thu. Jan 27, 2005, 08:01 PM
I looked up a property and the tax bill has been delinquent for the past 2 years. I am not sure if the owner is deceased or what. I cannot find a number to the owner but I am going to right her a letter. The question is…Is there a way that I can pick the property up if the owner is deceased by paying the taxes or some other way?

[b]You said I looked up a property and the tax bill has been delinquent for the past 2 years. ???

And now you say I did not state that the taxes were not paid[/b] ???

So are we just making this up as we go? ???

OK johnmichael…First the taxes are delinquent which I stated in the first post. Second, I did not state that the taxes were not paid to the deceased owners son. Third I am not making it up as I go. If you read the posts. I have done the research obviously. I would not be wasting my time and others to give me What if? answers. The property is still in the deceased owners name, I am going to check the probate court as you said.