dead man's house

i want to buy fix flip a house where the owner is deceased. the owners girlfriend may or maynot be living in the house. the dead man has children, but the house has not gone through probate and i believe there is no will because the house is still registered to the city by the dead man’s name as present owner. how do i go about getting this property or should i let sleeping dogs lie?

call probate courts tell them you are interested. and find out the name of kids call them also. if he didnt have much money, the state might had to use the property to put him a away, and pay any other debts, go to assertors office and check for other liens.