Dad has BIG Problem Help!!!

My dad was to close on a house tat was advertised to buy in Nov. The bank stopped the closing because of a mh lien not being released that they didnt know of they said. He had already rented it for the original closing date, It still hasnt closed as of Mar 1st and the renters are still there and they have been asked to leave for months. They say they cant afford to leave right now. He still has all their money they paid for rent as its not legally his yet but they wont leave until papers get signed and its legally his. How can he get them out without getting into trouble as he cant evict if its not his ??? Any help please???

PS : He was just informed that they did get lien released and could close in a week or so but they wanted to know if their was people living in houseas realtor did a drive by and He said no but they are still there! Help

His only choice is to pay them to leave. He had no legal right to rent the property and no legal right to collect rent. If the AG gets involved, there are fraud and consumer protection issues that could become a criminal matter.

If it’s going to close and your father will get legal title, he can serve a notice to quit the day he files the deed. If the tenants are otherwise good tenants, then he may just want to keep them there.

I agree. Paying bad tenants to leave can be less painful.

“I know you guys are having a hard time now, so I’m willing to give you the deposit on your new place as soon as you get all your stuff out.”

Make sure they are out before you hand over money. Have the locks changed the minute you have ownership and possession.

Furnishedowner

If it’s going to close and your father will get legal title, he can serve a notice to quit the day he files the deed. If the tenants are otherwise good tenants, then he may just want to keep them there.

What is a notice to quit? Is that like an eviction?

He gave them back deposit and the one he was renting to left and there are 2 more that wont leave.?? Thanks so much for tryiong to help him out of this mess. :smile Id appreciate any more suggestions if there are any.

An eviction is physical removal from the property. A notice to quit is the first step. It tells the tenant the tenancy is terminated and he needs to give back the unit (i. e. quit) within a certain period of time (usually 30 days or 1 rental period depending on the state). If he doesn’t leave within that time period, then you can go to court and start the eviction process.

Have a process server do it if you are unfamiliar with the process. What just about every RE investor doesn’t realize is that evictions are lightning fast court proceedings. Waiting months or years to get inside a courtroom is typical for other people, but eviction dates are measured in weeks. The cost of this speed is precision. Everything with must be perfect. The notice must be 100% legally correct. The service must be 100% legally correct. If not, the judge can make you start over. One month’s rent or one month’s holding cost is much much less than the cost of reserving a tenant.

What would he put as a reason on the eviction notice? They havent paid for Mach which he wont accept it and they owe him 475. in electric unpaid bill??

A notice to quit is not an eviction notice. An eviction notice is given the tenant a few days before he is physically removed.

A notice to quit tells the tenant the tenancy is terminated and he must leave withing a certain period of time. I tis used to terminate a tenancy for no cause and is no reason is required.