Classes on Real Estate Law

Hi,
Has anyone taken any of the Texas real estate sales-license courses? I’d like to familiarize myself with general real-estate law before I begin investing in real estate. I plan to specialize in flipping single-family residential properties. There are numerous courses available, but the main ones are as follows:

Principles of Real Estate I & II
 Law of Contracts
 Law of Agency

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Oh yeah, and I plan to take these at ACC, so if you’ve taken classes there I’d be interested to here about them.

Donnie

Donnie,
I’m afraid I won’t be much help, but I didn’t want to leave you hanging. This board was down for over a week when I switched domain names so the board lost momentum.

I took the first class years ago and found it to be a joke if you already have any real estate knowledge. Also, from what I understand, if you took various B-Law courses in college, the others are mostly a rehash.

However, if you’re starting from ground zero, then I’m sure it would be very helpful. Even if you are knowledgeable, I’ve heard folks say it’s good to take the courses so you’ll understand an agent’s mindset better.

Hopefully, someone with recent experience will respond. Take care and thanks for joining us.

Donnie,

You may have already signed up for a class, I just saw your post.

The real estate classes you mentioned are very basic so depending on your level of knowledge will determine if they will be helpful.

I have taken Law of Contracts which is just that. We filled out several residential contracts with a lease back and some farm and ranch contracts. I also took Principles I and this class discussed the code of ethics, real estate definitions, parties involved in the transaction, hours needed for a license…

I have not taken the other two required courses at this time. Thus far, not much discussion on real estate law. You may want to look at the real estate schools, Austin Institute of Real Estate, in the area to see if there are other courses that you are interested in and perhaps ACC would offer them.

Hope this helps,
KR