Canada-US AND a new investor

So, I just joined this forum and wanted some advice.

I am VERY interested in REI, but am also a bit scared. I have been researching real estate for a couple months (albeit I’ve been bit undisciplined about it). I have listened to a few audiobooks, and have started to research on the internet. I have visited only a few properties.

I have a potential business partner located in the U.S. (I am located in Canada). The partner wants to invest in some properties that we BOTH find interesting located in the US. How does this impact me? I am a PhD student right now, and think that this is the time to invest. We are interested in 2-4 family homes where the other partner would occupy one of the apartments.

Is investing in US RE a good idea as someone from out of the country?

After I finish my degree, I plan to move to the US - does this matter?

Thanks,
heraltesse

Welcome to a Canadian doctor and good luck in your investing career. I was just reading an article about Canada you might find interesting (if a bit off the subject):

This should make you think twice before your next visit to the doctor!!!

Doctors

1. The number of doctors in Canada is 700,000
  2. Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000
  3. Accidental deaths per physician is 17.14%

Statistics courtesy of the Canadian Dept of Health & Human Services

Guns:

1. The number of guns owned in Canada is 80,000,000 (80 million!)
  2. The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500
  3. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.001875%

Statistics courtesy of the RCMP

So statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Remember, guns don’t kill people, doctors do.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention. Then we would be in real trouble.

Good luck, doc.

For once, I am in FULL AGREEMENT with Gary! More guns, less doctors!

Keith

Okay guys - thanks for the biased statistical information, I will think about that next time that I visit a MEDICAL DOCTOR as I am completing my DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY…

I just wanted to thank JAAMJK for the helpful information.

In terms of responding to JAAMJK’s comments - I have looked into the taxes that may be imposed on my earnings in the US. Apparently, any rental income that I make off a property in the US is taxed up to 30% by the Canadian government! Apparently I can also get around that by filing a US tax return and claiming the income on that. I’m still not clear on what the downsides to that would be.

Anyhow…if anyone has insight into this I’d like to hear it. Other than that thanks for the “insight” into Canadian doctors (although I’d like to hear the same statistics on doctors in the US…hmmmm…).