Building Houses?

Hello All,
Im just wondering if there is anything special I need (licence, etc…) to build houses and then sell them directly after completion (being my own contractor)? I want to start doing about one or two houses a year and then gradually move up. Are there any books that you would recommend? Oh, and this is with cash on hand…no loans.

Thanks for any information you can give!
Anitian.

Anitian,

Depending on your state you may have to be a licensed contractor. In Texas we don’t require a license, but you have to register with the state. In Florida you have to be licensed. Building with cash on hand is NOT a good idea. Especially for a new builder. Put down as much as needed to get a spec loan with a local bank, and save the rest.

I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to take advantage of leveraging OPM…

Anyways…here’s a good pertinent read:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0071436839.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

-Mike
P.S. Note that hyperlink isn’t working…just cut and paste entire URL

Mike,

I fixed you hyperlink…

Keith

also be aware that depending on the state you may have liability for extended period as to the proper construction of the home. Sure, the subs are “suppose” to know what they are doing and the inspector shoudl catch mistakes, but ultimately as the builder you could liable if things are not done right. For example, in Calif, I seem to recall the time period is 10 years as defined in the civil code.

if you are serious about doing it, just go get a contractors license; its really not that difficult in the several states I have looked at it.