Bird dog questions. Help!!

Hi there! I’m new to this forum and have read alot of info. At 1st I wanted to get into the investors business- buying and flipping-until I read that that tv stuff is boloney. I’ve come to realize there’s just too much to handle for me there. So- I would LOVE to bird dog! Get a fee for just finding a property? WoW! Sounds so easy and less headache for me+quick money. I don’t want to be rich, just a little more comfortable than what I am now, believe it or not. Mom of 3 kids and I want to move them in a better neighborhood with better schools. There is so much crime in my city over 130 homocides already this year! Some area aren’t plagued by it as much though. Hubby want’s a sone I have 3 daughters so I told him we need more room for that! Definitely a bigger house! My dreamhome so to speak would go for around 250k-300k around here. Yall think Birdogging can help me achieve that goal?

Anyways, I was wondering just how to ge this thing off the ground? I see ads in the paper here in Tennessee all the time. For instance:

1. I BUY HOUSES WHEN OTHERS SAY NO. CASH. QUICK CLOSINGS.
  2. HOME BUYERS. ANY REASON. ANY PRICE.CALL NOW A GOOD THING WILL BEGIN TO HAPPEN.
  3. CALL US LAST! INVESTOR PAYS CASH FOR REAL PROP. QUICK CLOSING.
  4. WE BUY HOMES. QUICK CLOSING, ALL CONDITIONS, CASH.
  5. HOUSES WANTED, CASH ALL ARES, ANY CONDITION, QUICK CLOSING

Do these sound like bird dog ads or investor ads? How do I approach them? I read here it’s easier to get a buyer for a property than a property for a buyer so I’m trying to gather my investors 1st. Is this the right direction? What do you guys base your finder fees on? Let’s say a property is like 20 k. What’s a good finder’s fee for that? I assume the more the property is the more your fee should be?

Thank you all so much. I’ve been searching through and though to find a place to help me answer questions like these. I even called some guy in my local paper that was an investor running an ad to sell a property to ask him about advise. He told me his advice wasn’t free and that he charges for his services! Can you believe that? Here I am trying to MAKE money and people are just always for the TAKING. I would love to turn deals over to someone I don’t care if it’s a 100,000 profit. I know I don’t know what the heck I’m doing or don’t have the money to fix it up, so I may as well turn it over to someone who has the means and let them benefit. Just give me my finder’s fee! lol I’m just so tired of making measley hundreds, I want to start making thousands in this world! Seems like it’s so hard to get ahead at times and everytime you look around money is needed for something else right when you think you can save. Very depressing. So hopefully this venture can help us out tremendously. I’m looking forward to it! Thanks in advance again!

I also ran across this ad. What do yall think? Earn Extra Cash by Sending Us Referrals!

Sellers - Send us the telephone number and property address for every For Sale By Owner or vacant house you can find. Or if you know someone who has a house for sale, send us their information. If we buy the house we’ll pay you $500 just for providing the lead!

Buyers - Send us the name and telephone number of anyone you know looking to buy or lease-option a home. If we strike a deal with the buyer, we’ll pay you $250 just for providing the lead!

Isn’t this bird dogging too?

Hi Tluellenj,

I admire your motivation and desire to get ahead. Birddogging is allowed in some states and not allowed in others. The point is not that you shouldn’t do it to make money . . . it’s a good way to do that. The problem arises when you go to collect your fee if you are in a state that does not allow it. You have no leverage with a lawsuit.

For example, if the activity you will be performing is an activity which requires a real estate license and you do not have one, you can not legally collect a commission. You will be at the mercy of the person you are dealing with hoping they have integrity. Some do . . . some don’t.

Most states have a great online real estate licensing website. I recommend you check it out and determine what you need to do. Also, there are lots of reasonabley priced online classes to help you get your license and get going.

Believe me, birddogging is only the beginning. Before long, you’ll have the capital and the experience to actually do some of those deals yourself . . . that’s where the real money is. But the birdddogging is a good place to start to learn the market and how the business works. But get busy and do it while you have the motivation. With three kids and wanting a fourth, it won’t be easy but it will be worth it before too long.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how it’s going. 8)

Cate

I am reading a course by barry grimes called “real estate jobbing” it is very thorough and pretty inexpensive. I think it is $97 and can be found on this website.

HEY CATE

what is the state you are in ?? As well what is the law there as far as birddogs??

I’m in WA and CA. The laws for ‘birddogs’ are different in different states. You need to check the real estate licensing laws to determine if persons engaging in ‘birddog’ activities are required to have a license.

I’ve had a real estate license since 1971 so was never concerned about having the clout to collect my commissions. I do know that some of the birddog activites are viewed as requiring a real estate license by some state licensing boards.

It’s just good business to have the law on your side when it comes to collecting money owed to you.

Cate