Benefits Of Living In Apartments

My life is busy. Being a realtor in a large and busy city means
that I have little time to relax and enjoy life outside of work.
I know that many, many professionals know what I’m talking
about. So another great thing about living in apartments is
that it is such a low-maintenance place to live. I, for one, do
not have enough time in my weeks to take care of the immense
amount of upkeep that living in a home requires. So apartments
are perfect for me because there is little to no maintenance to
be handled in this kind of living. So if you’re a busy
professional or family that wants to spend life on things other
than doing maintenance to a yard, then you should really
consider living in apartments.

Another great benefit of living in apartments is that you have
the freedom to get up and move at any time. So if you need a
place to live for a few months or for just a few years, then
you should consider apartment living over buying a house.

Regards
Real Estate Agents

Upkeep? You make it sound as though things are breaking every day in and around the house. The only major upkeep I do - outside of normal cleaning, which is done in an apartment, too - is yard work. However, you can always buy a house with xeroscape landscaping, and that won’t be an issue, either.

You do have a point about up-and-moving, however, most leases I’ve seen are for 6mo to 1yr minimum with excessive fees for breaking the lease. If you do anything less, the rent is usually relatively higher.

Now, let’s talk about the benefits of home ownership … :wink:

I agree. If you listen to Robert Kyosaki in Rich Dad Poor Dad he will tell you that a house to live is not a good investment (he calls it a liability, but it is really an asset, just a low performing asset). This is the same question asked when you ponder if a person should get married or not. The only good use of marriage is to raise a family. Kids need to be in a household with parents married to each other. This allows us to establish paternity and provide stability as the kids grow up. The same can be said of home ownership. It allows you to raise your kids in the kind of environment that you want. It is close to schools, it has a park around the corner, it provides kids with a base of “home” that they will remember all their lives. But as an investment, forget it. Marriage or cohabitation, home or apartment it all boils down to lifestyle. If you want to raise kids home ownership and marriage are musts. If you want to run around trading time for dollars being single in an apartment is fine.

Being married is a must to raising children… hm… not.

I am into the condo lifestyle myself. I like not having to deal with the maintance of a house, cutting grass (or paying someone to do it) dealing with the crub appeal, watering the lawns and safety. I like a condo since I feel safer. I go away alot and dont have to worry about maintance or someone breaking in really (but it can happen) I live in a hurricane state and dont want to deal with hurricane shutters, home insurance cost and taxes are alittle better. I get a nice pool, doorman, business center, drycleaners on premise, small grocery store onsite open 6AM-11PM, spa,tennis and a gym plus much more. All this would cost me millions for a home, plus I would not be able to live in the downtown action as much and be steps from everything.

If people have not noticed, back in the 80’s condos were rare and occupied by seniors, then the late 90’s came and generation X decided to buy in condos which fuels the condo construction accross the USA because we rather have the luxuries for cheaper prices and have more time to party then to have to deal with maintance. Also living so close to many people…if your social its great and if you have trouble meeting new people or living in a new city, its a great way to meet new people. I probably know about half my building already

Being married is a must to raising children... hm... not.

I am sorry realnew, I was thinking about men. If a man wants to raise children he has to get married. If he doesn’t get married, he can’t dictate how his kid gets raised because it is her kid not his. Of course all a woman has to do is find a sperm donor and she can raise children. But then she will want child support or government help raising “her” children and there will always be some doubt about linage (just like on the Maury show when the DNA test says “You are NOT the father”)

If a man wants to raise children he has to get married. If he doesn’t get married, he can’t dictate how his kid gets raised because it is her kid not his.
That was quite possibly the dumbest thing I had ever heard. Until I read this;
But then she will want child support or government help raising “her” children and there will always be some doubt about linage
That was quite possibly the dumbest thing I had ever heard
Go and have a baby by some woman that is not your wife and then go over there and try to tell her how to raise that kid and we will see how dumb it is. Tell her you don't want that kid eating fast food. You want every meal home cooked and watch her run you out of there. You can't tell her that you want yor kid going to church or temple every Sunday if she doesn't want that kid to go to church. You can't even insist that the kid says grace before he eats or prayers before bed time. It is not your kid. It is her kid.

"I am sorry realnew, I was thinking about men. If a man wants to raise children he has to get married. If he doesn’t get married, he can’t dictate how his kid gets raised because it is her kid not his. Of course all a woman has to do is find a sperm donor and she can raise children. But then she will want child support or government help raising “her” children and there will always be some doubt about linage (just like on the Maury show when the DNA test says “You are NOT the father”) "

This post is totally unfair, inaccurate and offensive. Bluemoon, I don’t know if you are speaking from past experience or present ignorance, but this is some very small thinking.

Go and have a baby by some woman that is not your wife and then go over there and try to tell her how to raise that kid and we will see how dumb it is.
What makes you think that's not the case with me? Or maybe vice versa.

I see your opinion’s are based on religion which doesn’t surprise me. However, preaching your lifestyle will influence no one because your comments lack the necessary logic.

You are right I am not speaking from past experience. My wife and I are raising my kids. But my kids have my last name, they are raised in my culture which dictates the kind of sports that they play (football instead of soccer), the type of foods they eat (home cooked mostly) and even the types of vacations that we take (resort style instead of hunting and camping). I am not saying that there are not other ways to raise kids that may even be better than my way, but I would have no real say so unless I am actually in the household that the kid is being raised in. That means that I would be married.

very small thinking
I am open to evidence that I am thinking small. I just haven’t seen a man successfully raise kids in some other household. The kid will be raised fine, but it won’t be by your rules, it will be by her rules. Please enlighten me to this grander method of child rearing.
lack the necessary logic

Danny there is no logic to raising a kid. It is all about putting in that child the values that you want them to have. If you don’t control the environment they are raised in you can’t shape their values.

Bluemoon, walls make the house, not the home. Environment is important, but it is also external. If you haven’t seen anyone that has successfully done it, that’s because you haven’t looked and are relying on media circus mongers like Maury to show you the world. I personally know and could give you real life examples of men that are doing what you seem to think can’t be done in various scenarios. But examples and illustrations are intended to help absorb lessons in the mind, and in this case I really don’t think there’s any room.

However I will comment on your belief that you can’t shape a child’s environment if you don’t “control” the environment. My son’s father and I did not work out as married folk. But through it all we constantly strive to instill the right values in our boy. I do have residential custody of my son, but he spends lots of time with his father (anywhere from 10%-90% of the time at any given moment because although we are apart we both recognize that raising a child can’t be done off a court-mandated “schedule”), he supports and demonstrates those same values. All the while, neither of us has or even tries to have control over the environment at the other’s house. Easy? No. Perfect? Hell No. But families that have it “all together” aren’t guaranteed any type of success either. My son doesn’t have my name because I took my name back in our divorce. My son’s father doesn’t live in our household because of the divorce. But one house or two huts, our son has BALANCE because he benefits from our love and our values. Oh, and guess what? I am doing all of this from my apartment and for a while so did his father :o. Which, thankfully brings my discussion with you to a close and brings all of us back to the real topic here…apartment dwelling.

For the last five years I’ve been living in a cute apartment. I moved here at the onset of my filing for divorce, which became final (Ha!) a year later. It took several thousand more dollars than I’d budgeted to get rid of my ex (it’s like exterminating roaches–you gotta kill the eggs or the bugs just keep coming back). So these subsequent years I’ve remained in my apartment to regroup financially (everything here is so inexpensive especially my rent which is less than half for the same apartment and less amenities in the city).

Right now I more am in a position to buy a house of my own, but the attention and encouragement that a child gets in a the tiny little school in this town has turned my shy skinny little boy into an honor student and gave him to courage to go out for the football team a few suburbs over (go CalPark RAMS!). The school requires you to be a resident of the town to attend so I plan to stay here until he graduates from 8th grade. Yes this school has been THAT GOOD for him. I know that there are schools just as good but junior high is not the time for experimenting. There’s no high school here, and of course there are fewer residential restricitions attached to high schools so where we live won’t matter as much. Still, I would really love to live here forever, but I have yet to catch any of the ones that meet my needs for sale or in distress. So in the meantime I’m focusing on investment properties instead of OO, and my apartment and town serve as a nice cheap place to do business.

Whew! That was a mouthful even for me. :smiley:

Danny there is no logic to raising a kid.

My comment about your lack of logic had nothing to do with raising a kid but rather your narrow-minded perspective of the world.

You say you control the environment to shape the views of your childen and have thus chosen football instead of soccer and resorts instead of camping for them. I don’t understand the significance of that so please clear that up for me.

Let’s all get back to real estate now!

6 of 10 children in the USA are raised by one parent because of death, divorce, or lifestyle choice. So if I was saying that this does not work then I would be saying that America is doomed. I am not. I am saying that a man not in the household has a tough row to hoe if he is to influence his child’s upbringing. That being said my dad always told me not to discuss politics or religion. I almost always discuss both. But back to real estate. When you are deciding on a primary residence to live in. The determining factors are not all financial. There is a lot of lifestyle in it. It is how you want to live your life. Apartments offer a lot of freedom.

I thought I’d chime in with my 2 cents on the subject of fatherless homes.

In most civil situations, such as deborahwells, for example, children can grow up healthy (mentally, physically) in most situations. The problem is that the government gets involved in a lot of situations and makes matters worse. In my observation (from a close relative as well as from talking to other fathers) is that courts are heavily biased in favor of the custodial parent (almost always the mother). The non-custodial parent (the father in the vast majority of cases) is treated as sub-human. Several of their constitutional rights, for the most part, are ignored. Imagine being told you HAVE to pay $1,000/month for a your child every month or be thrown in jail. Lose your job? Tough crap. They have a thing called “imputed income” that basically means no matter what happens to you, you will always be subjected to paying at least $1,000/mo. If you get laid off, you better find a job where you make the same or more, or you’re in trouble. So you’re an excellent father to your child, lose your job, try to find something that pays the same, get behind, and eventually go to jail. Oh, yeah. You are now called a “deadbeat dad” by society. All because some judge needs to pad his stats for the next election.