Are You Chasing Preforeclosures??

This is my first post, so I do help that some of you with more experience can help me out. I’m looking for a strong script to use when I first approach preforeclosure homeowners.

Does anybody have a good quality introductory script that they use when they first approach that they wouldn’t mind sharing?

All help is much appreciated. Thanks.

A script for what? You question is too broad. What do you need a script for? Answering the phone, cold calling, door to door? What is it that you really want to accomplish?

There is no script. Each situation is different and you will need to see what the problem is and what the owner(s) are trying to accomplish then you provide solutions. I personally give them their best options even if it doesn’t benefit me because I want them to know that they can trust me should they ever decide to use me in the future.

Regards

My apologies for being so vague. Here’s my situation:

I do alot of door to door knocking (I love being in the trenches) and I am in search of how you guys initially make contact with the homeowner. I mean, when they first open the door with the wrinkle in their brow and the fire in thier eye, what do you say?

Posted by: satarnag Posted on: Today at 09:05:17am
There is no script. Each situation is different and you will need to see what the problem is and what the owner(s) are trying to accomplish then you provide solutions. I personally give them their best options even if it doesn’t benefit me because I want them to know that they can trust me should they ever decide to use me in the future.

Regards

Once I am in conversation with the homeowner, I am very comfortable with the rest of the process. I know how to identify wants/needs(qualify) and how to find mutually acceptable solutions. But, I need a better way of getting there.

I have been using an introduction by Conti & Finkel, but I am not very impressed with the results. Does anyone have something stronger? How do you disarm the homeowner so they don’t slam the door in your face? What do YOU say when you first talk to the homeowner?

I would suggest direct mailing to them first, letting them know you are aware of the situation and if they need a way to sell their house and save their credit to give you a call…

I door knock some, I hate it though. But I found this thread to be of great use.

http://www.dealmakerscafe.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10560

I’ve been told that you need to have an - extraverted(sp)/direct personality to do the door knocking thing. Most of us are more the extraverted/indirect types. So in mailing postcards - we are extraverted in mailing them - and indirect by waiting for the home owner to call us. We think that this way they actually WANT to talk to us because they call us. This is what we do. I don’t think I could actually walk up to a door and start the conversation. But once I started it - I’d be fine … its the knocking on the door that is hard for me.

Anyone who can do the door knocking thing is big in my book! ;D

Thanks everybody for the replies, you have been helpful. Jb, I am going to check that thread out right now.

Thanks again guys.

Door knocking - if done correctly - is probably the best form of marketing there is. It puts a face and personality on the postcard, letter, flyer, ad, etc. It brings a sense of humanity to the situation. But it also takes time. As with anything, you have trade-offs in life, and this is one of them. For people with a busy schedule, this probably wouldn’t be the best option. For others with time, it could be the best option.

I have little to no free time, so I use passive marketing instead. It will probably get less calls and less deals, but it limits my time required to find deals. Even with passive marketing, people still feel the need to use a lot of time to gather lists, research courthouse records for Lis Pedens, divorces, etc. Again, I don’t have time. But as many professionals will say you trade time for money. I have the money, but little time.

What I do is this …

I have a farm area that encompasses two zip codes. I changed my criteria recently to target newer homes (again, my time is limited, so rehabbing or even overseeing a major rehab project is out of the question). I also did some other modifications to my crieria. Instead of doing a bunch of research and target specific groups, I just send my marketing to EVERYONE, regardless of their situation. I stage the marketing so everyone is covered in 3-month intervals. I put on my material a referral fee just in case they have no problems, but know someone who does.

Again, there is no right/wrong way to do this stuff as a lot of variables come into play. What may work for me due to my personal situation and/or my area may not work for Joe in North Dakota.

I love the face-to-face method! My best tool (script if you will) is my story. I’ve been there, seen it, and done that and so I reveal to them up front that 7 years ago after my wife died from cancer, I lost my job and then lost my house in foreclosure and had my car repossessed. I lived with my brother and his family for about 4 months to get back on my feet. People have an easier time trusting me and relating to me as someone who totally understands their situation and then some. Consequently, they’d rather work with me as a result. Of course not everyone has such a dramatic story, but everyone has a story to tell, so figure out what yours is and make it a part of your approach.

Thanks for the reply Avi-

I Know of somebody who uses a similar approach, and uses a time in the early 90’s when he lost his home as his way of starting a conversation with the owners. I don’t have any stories of my own yet (I’m a fairly young guy) but I do get the drift of your intent.

My question of you, how effective has using a background story been when you first meet in getting an appointment/to the kitchen table?

Good idea. My sister almost went through foreclosure. Luckily, she borrowed the money to catch up and then sold her house before the sale. Most homeowners aren’t that savvy to remedy the situation and are scared and embarrassed. I think I will try using this story to break the ice - not saying they are not savvy - just the foreclosure story. :wink: