Anyone familiar with Rich dad Poor Dad?

I remember you too Bluemoon. “Do you get a good job (poor dad) or do you buy a convenience store (rich dad).” I was brainswashed to take the poor dad route throughout my life along with the Poor Mom route as well. I made that up, but anyway I see where you are going with this. I went t one of the RDPD webinars that had a discussion on wholesale. The speaker said something that stuck to me. You know how they say truth hurts? They weren’t kidding. The speaker said something that is true but hurtful. That is you are where you are in life because of your past actions. I think about that everyday and how I hated growing up in a struggling low income family. The actions both of my folks made is what kept us from living a better life then and now.
I could go on and on about what got us into the rut we are in now and was in then, but that discussion is way deep as I have a lot of pent up anger and frustration just thinking about it and who I blame most of all for our messed up life.

your parents do control your living situation when you are a child,after you become an adult you are the one responsible for yourself,no one else to blame or take credit.

There are a lot of people that live comfortable in million dollar houses today that grew up in a family below the poverty line,its not where your from, its where you take yourself that counts

andy

I’m sure there are plenty of rags to riches folks out there just like that. I only blame them for the choices they made when I was a kid, which had us living a struggling lifestyle. Now I am stuck under the same roof desperately finding ways to get out now. I am not blaming them anymore. Now I am working on changing my life.

Anyone can afford to buy the Rich Dad books.

They are so popular that they can be found at any Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc… for about $1 each. Usually most thrift stores will have several copies.

Steve

(Sorry this is a little long)

You are definetly not alone tbodley74. I’m 54 and my father made sure he taught me nothing. So I started life off behind the curve.

I’ve gone from $60K+ a year and having lunch served to me in the board room to $24K a year and waiting in line for the microwave in the break in. About 8 lay offs over the past 10 years I’m worn out and to tired to play the game any more. I know I’m not the sharpest tool in the tool box but I’m honest, have integrity and work hard. My executive management experience has provided valuable skills in putting together proforma’s and project management.

Here in the REI Club discussion forums I found a primary mentor and the support of others who directly and indirectly guide me as well.

Personally, I have a $75K mortgage debt and everything else has been paid off. I saw this economic down turn coming back in 1998 and immediately with every extra penny paid off cars and credits cards. I got laid off to much to pay off the house. This month I began packing the things I want to keep and have begun giving and throwing everything else out. I will sell my house by June. I’ll give my wife 1/2 the equity after expenses and take the other half and attempt to make me a million dollars the way I’ve made millions for several of my past employers. It will be my last shot. Fail and I will go live on a sailboat with my older brother off the coast of Pine Island Florida.

I plan to live in a mobile home to simply. It will allow me to use the thousands spent on property taxes for investing. My plan is set. It’s time to take a bunch of steps backwards so I can simply my life and start over with the 25 to 30 years I have left.

tbodley74 I don’t know how old you are. But don’t wait to make changes. As you move forward make calculated plans with alternate backup plans. Take small amounts of money and put it aside for later in life. IRA’s and 401K’s are not always the best way to grow that money but commit to something.

I’ve read almost all of Robert Kiyosaki’s books. I’ve also read management books by dozens of this countries top executives and corporate leaders. They got me started in a proper mind set. My main problem is implementation, the money to make it happen and finding the return I need to leave my current job immediatley.

Find a mentor on REI either directly or indirectly. Do something now!

As others said already, I think that the books are well worth it, but not the seminars. The books aren’t that great from the financial and calculations point of view, but they were great for motivation in my case. So then I got another books specifically for certain type of real estate properties or for the tax or calculations topics, but rich dad poor dad was something what got me thinking first.

I am much younger than you. I am also way to old to be trying to make some good changes in my life. I read pieces of Robert’s book and I have to say it blew me away. It really opended my eyes about life and how people lives are they way they made them. There are some things in the book that got me worried because I am scared to take risks if it will cost me all my hard earned money. I have his Rich Dad Power Pack, which I am looking at right now. I also signed myself up with the coaching program they have. I will be talking to my coach tomorrow morning before I go to work.

I tell you this. The more crap I have to put up with at work is all the motivation I need to do something to take me to the highest level I want to be in my life. The more I climb out of bed every morning just to rush off to a job I hate only to work really hard to make someone else’s life wonderful rather than my own is the motivation I need. Like Robert said the cure to laziness is a little greed. And I have always had greed in me and lots of it. I aim to be out of the rat race soon someday. That will be my greatest acheivement. The only set back is my folks will be against me doing what I am about to do. The will say all kinds of negative stuff to steer me away from accomplishing my dreams especially if it requires me to sacrifice my money on investments. Yep, I can hear them now.

Robert got me thinking too after I read a few chapters in one of his book. After I read parts of this book, I began to see people a whole lot differently now and how they got to be where they are in life.

Don’t feel bad about where you are tbodley74 and VanDyne. I live in a neighborhood of million dollar houses and drive the newest BMW and I tell you these people don’t have money they have mortgages and debt. You make $1,000 a month and spend $1,000 each month and feel bad about living paycheck to paycheck and my neighbors make $20,000 a month and spend $20,000 every month. Nobody is better off than you. What I would do is like VanDyne said and develop a plan that leaves you with wealth and don’t chase the stuff.

Of everybody I know that is actually rich most, and I mean 4 to 1, were not born rich. They were not highly educated professionals. In fact highly educated professionals tend to work their high paying jobs instead of doing the activities that will make them rich. They are handcuffed by their jobs which prevents them from getting rich.

The key is develop a plan and follow that plan. There are people here that can help you figure out the rough parts. Ask here.

To echo what others have correctly stated, the first 3 books are wonderful (haven’t read the others). The Ca$hflow boardgames are AWESOME!

HOWEVER the seminars are absolutely a ripoff. Check out this 3-part expose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6nT0oyPt8&feature=related Steer clear of these seminars. They run $12k-45k and aren’t even taught by Kiyosaki.

Get the first 3 books and read them in that order. RDPD, Cashflow Quadrant, & Guide to Investing. Check used bookstores, Ebay, Amazon, etc for cheap used ones. Get the boardgames if you can afford them (they’re expensive but worth it IMO) or find a Ca$hflow group in your area.

Many Popular Books/Classics have digital versions that can be had for little or no cost.

Does anybody know of a good source for audiobooks including the RDPD series? or other investing books?
I know reading is great, but I am able to have headphones on at work

have you tried your local Library? I have found several Real Estate Audio Programs there. for low-cost, try Ebay.

I have used our local library too for “Get Rich Quick” type audio books. I like to listen in my car on long drives, since anywhere here is a long drive.

I have even learned about stuff I wasn’t that interested in, like insurance and stocks.

Go to your library! Mr. Carnegie built it just for you.

Furnishedowner

Went to the library (via the internet). They don’t have rich dad poor dad on audio.

Please tell me that’s not all you tried. I just did a quick search on ebay and found 40 RDPD audiobooks, several can be bought now for $4.99 plus a couple bucks s&h. Others have starting bids of 99 cents.

I have been hearing a lot of negative things concerning the seminars. The books are the only ones getting good feedback.