ADVERTISING FOR RENTERS-WANT YOUR OPINION

What is your opinion of the following: Thought I could post it on local bulletin boards say at grocery stores, public areas where it is ok to post. Any thoughts on changes or whether someone would be upset at the wording of it?

NOW INTERVIEWING

FOR RENTAL OF
CLEAN, COMFORTABLE, UPDATED
2 BDR/1BATH HOME
LOCATED NEAR BOONE HIGH SCHOOL
NO SMOKING
NO PETS

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY AND REFERENCES REQUIRED
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS REQUIRED
SECURITY DEPOSIT AND FIRST MONTHS RENT REQUIRED

SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY PLEASE CALL FOR DETAILS
XXX-YYY-ZZZZ

Personally, I don’t care if people get upset with me or my advertisement, as long as it meets the letter of the law. You have done nothing out ot the ordinary. If folks don’t loike it, they should buy their own property!

I think it’s good to let people know what the rules are up front. We do the same thing. We show our rentals like an open house. If people are interested, we give them an application with a firm “Return By:” date and tell them on that date we will review applications, do our due dilligence, and offer the property to the best applicant(s).

My opinion…others may vary.

Keith

I think you’ll just keep people from applying that your screening would eliminate anyway. Why not save yourself the hassle of having to deal with their phone call?

Thanks, any other comments? Graciez

One tip I picked up at a recent seminar is that you might want to up your monthly rent by $15 or so a month and put on your add “Monthly rent includes renters insurance policy” Now, when you decide on your tennant, ask them to bring a paid one year’s renter’s insurance policy (with you as co-insured) and you will reduce their rent each month by 1/12 of the policy cost.

First of all, this attracts attention to your add, and with all your other ‘pre-qualifiers’ perhaps sounding negative, it ends the add with a unique positive. Second, by having you as a loss payee, you not only are advised if the policy lapses, buy most renters insurance policies cover for $30-$50k in liability. If you have this on all your rental units, it gives you the possiblity of negotiating your homeonwers premiums with your company by proving to them that their first 30-50k is now covered by an underlying policy…no guarantees it gets you a discount, but it can’t hurt.

Actually I’m surprised that you ad doesn’t mention a credit check. I’d say credit and criminal background check required. Most of the time a credit check is all you’ll need to do.

Thanks for the info, Graciez