4 x 6 index cards - USPS "o.k."?

I’m wondering if I can use blank 4 x 6 index cards to create personalized mailings via the US postal service? Anyone tried this and had them sent back? I’m hoping to take advantage of the .23 cent postage rate as well - thought about using these for the expired MLS listings in my own zip code.
Immy

I’ve tried 3x5 cards without any being sent back yet. It should work. I think the max is 5x7? Call the USPS. They’ll let you know.

I am pretty sure that the 4x6 is ok using the .23 stamp but the 5x7 needs .37

Hey,
You can go to www.usps.com which is their netpost website. Under the heading “Reach Customers” you can apparently create your postcard, address, mail from home through their site. Looks like if it works like that it would certainly be handy with a mailmerge type setup. Has anybody used this?
Peace,
Richard

I am getting ideas on how to market thanks to everybody. I did confirm with USPS that the 3x5 index cards are acceptable to them. Just need to pay the standard post card rate to send them
steve

I never thought of using 3X5 index cards. Are you going to hand write the message or print them?

Are there other index cards that do not have those lines on one side?

6" x 4-1/4" is the maximum to get the standard postcard rate ($0.24, new rate). If any dimension is bigger than those, to a point, then it’s the standard rate of $0.39.

From the USPS site:
Large postcards require an additional $0.13 nonmachinable surcharge when any one of the following apply:

* Height exceeds 6-1/8 inches, or
* Length exceeds 11-1/2 inches, or
* Thickness exceeds 1/4 inch, or
* Length divided by height is less than 1.3 or more than 2.5. 

I send 11" x 5.66" postcards which is just about the maximum you can send and still get the $0.39 or standard bulk rates.

So, no one really answered if a 4"x6" card can be sent for .24 cents???

Yes they can, I sent some yesterday.

6" x 4" is less than 6" x 4-1/4" so Yes, you can send it for the $0.24 rate. Sorry, I forgot that no math be involved. Good luck in your mailings.

So, since you seem to know it all when it comes to the USPS.
What would a brochure (8.5x11.5 or whatever a regular peice of papers measurements are) folded into thirds - and taped on the side (to close it) cost to send?

Also what is the minimum amount of mailers you need to send to get a bulk rate?

Thanks!

:slight_smile: Okay, I don’t claim to know it all. I just found their postage calculation page. http://postcalc.usps.gov/

A self mailer 8-1/2" x 11" tri-folded is smaller than the maximum envelope size, it falls under the letters/envelope category. As long as it’s not too thick or heavy it will go for $0.39. Additional restrictions are at http://postcalc.usps.gov/mailpiecedimensions.asp#Envelope

Last I checked bulk rate account is $160/year and has 6 sorting levels (e.g. zip, zip+4, zip+4 + carrier route, etc.) each with different prices. Letters can get as low as $0.29.
http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm200/discount9.htm

The minimum quantity is usually 500 but it varies, you should check with the post office branch you’ll be setting up the account at. They’ll give you the discount rate package.

Thanks for the info and links.
I appreciate it!

Maybe I missed something but how did you get the address list?. I use www.VistaPrint for postcard printing and they are not to bad with their prices I am just wondering how to get a list of names. :smiley:

Kelly

Hey,
What kind of list of names do you want? I personally develop my own list from the tax appraiser’s site in particular neighborhoods I am interested in investing in. Further, I want motivated sellers so I specifically target out of town owners (presumably landlords). It is time consuming somewhat but very specific and I learn about that particular neighborhood and street. This works for me. You need to find what works for you with your specific business plan, goals, etc.
Peace,
Richard

I Richard. What kind of results do you get being this specific? I do this also and have not gotten any call backs from “Motivated” sellers.
They all want full market or are just curious what I would offer.

Thanks

Hey,
Have mailed out about 50 cards, got three responses. One contract signed for one property, paperwork being drawn up for another five properties (one response) for about 1/2 million, and working out the details on another 2 properties from another response. Two of these were replies after 1 mailing. The 5 property, 1/2 million deal came after the second mailing. The secret is not in postcards, signs, etc. The secret is finding the motivated seller.
Peace,
Richard

Cool, thanks for the info!

Finally I am able to send 4 x 6 index cards through USPS. Thanks for the help.