Which finance option is best

I didn’t think about being able to refinance on a residential consumer loan. If I can refi on a standard loan like this and free up my 20% down without waiting 6-12 months (because of 80% LTV), then I’d rather do this from the get go. I can purchase the property with 20% down, and right after repairs refi based on appraised value to get my initial 20% down payment investment, correct? When I go to refi, that’s when I would want the lowest interest rate for 30 yr fixed.

You were right on the commercial loan, it was variable rate with points.

I don’t think you are “hearing” me.

When you refinance, you either refinance the current balance of your existing loan, or, you refinance into a larger loan to take “cash out” of your equity. In both cases, the actual amount of the loan you will get from the refinance can not exceed 75% or 80% of the appraised value of the property.

Just refinancing the current balance of your existing loan without increasing the loan amount is called a “rate and term” refinance. A rate and term refinance often can be done with only one day of title seasoning.

If you want to get your downpayment money back, you need to do a “cash out” refinance. The maximum amount you will be allowed to borrow is 75% or 80% of the appraised value of the property. Lenders, as a general rule, are not allowing a cash out refinance until you have owned the property at least six months, and some require a full year on title.