utilities in rent

The ice makes the thermostat think the temp is lower than 72.

Your right. The ice would be the winner. I guess I’ll have to watch out for that trick.

Rich,

You are absolutely right. Using ice on the thermostat is a common trick. I know of a local landlord that had that happen. These tenants must all read from the same playbook!

Mike

The ice on themostat must be pretty common knowledge, there must be a website for deadbeat tenants where they can learn all these tricks. I’ve heard of it several times too. I also have a friend that has a building with one heater and he did go visit there once where the heat was cranked all the way up and the tenant had their window open in the winter to cool the place down.

Nothing wrong with buying the place and then trying to convert to individual meters. In this state, it used to be you couldn’t separate the water, had to be included as part of the rent so most multies only have a single water meter. Now you can submeter, but then it’s a bit of work to rework all the pipes.

I don’t think its statewide in CT but I know my town doesn’t want tenants paying the water bill (water dept is a city dept), most likely so they don’t get hit with the bill. Due to that the landlord is forced to pay. Luckily water is the cheapest of all utils and doesn’t suffer the same crazy rate spikes fossil fuels and electricity do.