The Sociopath Next Door

Ok here I go…

#1. Rapists and Murders should be executed when found guilty.
#2. Prisons need to be less of a day-care and more of a prison. I swear to god, some of those places have nicer TV’s/Basketball Gyms then my Highschool does!
#3. I dont think they should be allowed to work. Let them rot in their cell and think about what they’ve done. We’re not trying to CORRECT then, were trying to PUNISH them for their crime.
#4. Feed them slop (something cheap and nutritionally good), no more of this fine dining BS.

Basically all I have to say. Lets reduce the amount of Tax Payer dollars as much as possible to take care of these scum bags. As I said, Murders and Rapists arent even worth a penny!

Hoosier,
I’m with you on some of this. Gotta be careful on #1. Look at the story in the news now about Jaycee Dugard. Her step-dad had a questionable story and many people pointed the finger at him for years. Now it comes out that she was kidnapped by those wackos. What if her step-dad would have been convicted? I don’t agree with letting someone just rot behind bars for the rest of their life when they’ve been given a sentence of several hundred years or numerous life sentences. Build in a reasonable time frame for appeal and after that…
I’m all for them working. If there’s nothing productive to do, turn big rocks into little rocks.

You guys are watching way too much Prison Break. EVERYONE I have spoken to regarding prison and I MEAN EVERYONE says the same thing Furnished posted. “I spent all of my time trying not to get raped and killed”. There was no fine dining it was HORRENDOUS food with spoiled milk rotten eggs, etc… and there was no cable tv (at least in their cells), no computers AT ALL, you could not even have a typewriter with a memory cartridge. Prison freakin sucks guys. I am not advocating better prisons at all; I am just saying that if you think for one second that they have nice gyms and work-out equipment you are out of your mind. Prisons are hell holes and for the life of me I cannot figure out why anyone who has spent even one day inside of one would even jaywalk after they get out.

One of my friends from school just got out of jail he was in for 10yrs.It was federal prison and they had alot of the everyday comforts as we do.Now state pens are under staffed places nobody would enjoy.I believe neither one should be pleasant by any stretch.The same holds true for these govt housing places that look like retirement communities.If it’s free,spend as less as possible to save tax money and give people an incentive to want better.

Ehh, It really depends on what prison you go too. My mom used to work at a Prison here in Indiana, and yes, they indeed had VERY NICE extra things (basketball court gym, really nice TV’s per ratio of prisoner, very nice good behavior benifets)

To be fair. I think were both right. Prison does suck, even with some extra stuff. Im sure there are some prisons that dont have much, but I know for a fact that their are some that do. I guess it depends alot of which prison you go too.

Another factor is just having your freedom taken away. You can’t really imagine how that feels until it really happens to you. As part of my training, I was in confinement for a very short time. Just that was enough to make me realize how awful it would be to deal with confinement.

I spent a night in a County Jail when I was younger than Hoosier. It was for “Protective Custody” since I was a minor and I ran out of money in a distant town. The local cops picked me up because I fit some runaway’s description.

They couldn’t contact my parents to send money that day because they were in CHURCH.

The food (all 3 meals) was bologna sandwiches.

Reading material was the wall grafitti…“I am John. I was here 30 days. I didn’t do NOTHIN!”

The metal sagging bed was horrible and the blankets smelled so bad I slept on top.

Some crazy guy started screaming in the middle of the night, probably bad dreams, but it woke up everyone. The other prisoners started banging the doors. Scary stuff.

The toilet (no lid) could be viewed from the cell door window. I learned how to pee really fast.

All that has kept me from a life of crime. It really sucks to have your freedom taken away, especially when you haven’t done anything wrong!

Furnishedowner

Amen to that!

My kids ask me what I am afraid of and I tell them three things.

1. Spiders
  2. Sharks
  3. Prison

Chirstopher,

[i][b]"My kids ask me what I am afraid of and I tell them three things.

1. Spiders
  2. Sharks
  3. Prison"[/b][/i]

Interesting… that order? :biggrin

What are prisons for anyway? Are they to punish or rehabilitate?

Bluemoon,
Neither really,just a place for criminals to figure out with others where they went wrong.Very,very few use this as a positive.Most just figure they have perfected their career and when they get out with limited options that are given to felons go back to what they were doing before,with an improved strategy of course.

Escape form New York looks better and better.

Positive,

Yes in that order.

I freaking HATE spiders.
Jaws has scared me since I saw it when it came out. I was 6.
Prison for the obvious reasons.

They should be for both. And also to protect society.

Furnishedowner

Are we punishing criminals so that they will stop doing crimes? Or is it payback. You hurt us and we are going to hurt you.

Bluemoon06,

“Are we punishing criminals so that they will stop doing crimes? Or is it payback. You hurt us and we are going to hurt you”

It is both… the victims gets payback/justice for crimes against them and society benefits by the severity of the sentance to serve as a deterant…

Revenge or payback for the victim? You caught the guy that stole my mother’s wedding ring. You give him bed with 3 meals a day, cable TV and all day to play basketball and use free-weights. That is not revenge. If you steal my TV, putting you in jail does not pay me back. What pays me back in making you give me $1500 for the TV you took. Jail is not a deterrent because there is not 1 criminal that believes he is ever going to get caught. Since he will never get caught the punishment is irrelevant. Why do you think people murder or rape knowing that they would get the death penalty if they are caught? They don’ think they will ever get caught.

I think we should make criminals that get caught work at some job while they are in jail. The money from that job goes to the victims. Basically you hurt me of my family and you become the slave to my family.

Bluemoon06,

“Why do you think people murder or rape knowing that they would get the death penalty if they are caught? They don’ think they will ever get caught.”

The deterrant of the dealth penalty has been nutured due to inapplication of it… It is the equivolent of saying that if you commit a particular crime, you get a year in prison, but then just get community service…

All bark, no bite…

"I think we should make criminals that get caught work at some job while they are in jail. The money from that job goes to the victims. Basically you hurt me of my family and you become the slave to my family. "

Interesting concept, but the ACLU would fight against it…