My eviction experience... thus far

I'm sure that no one here is offended.

Mike

You seem to be.

There are people who know more than you out there man, dont take offense to it, just learn from them like we all try to do. :bigthumbup

I’m afraid that I don’t want to learn from anyone that teaches paying someone to steal from me. In my opinion, that’s just plain stupid! But then again, I like hanging around with the people on this forum and I don’t believe that everyone here is unsuccessful because they like to socialize on this forum.

Mike

Mikey buddy, relax, i love this forum but merely make the point, there are MANY different ways to achieve an objective, and whether you like it or not, sometimes you bite the bullet to save money and time.
The low lifes have more rights than we do whether you want to admit it or not.
I’d love to kick their ass to the curb and pitch their things out the window as much you or the next guy but were stuck playing by the broken systems rules.
Why do you continue to insist on trying to make it like I was bashing the forum members here? That comment about hanging in forums was jesting poke about hanging in forums, I’m here too arent I? :anon

Rather than pay the tenant the poster should have paid an attorney and been done with it. The extra cash loss was self inflicted.

There is a point that is being overlooked here. From a legal standpoint, anyone can sue anyone for anything. Landlords have a particular tendency to get sued for discrimination. I can’t tell you the number of times that I hear landlords say the dumbest things about their properties they make slurs about race, familial status, sexual orientation, religion, gender…whatever. Landlords rent places to live. People need someplace to live.
One of the surest ways to lose a discrimination lawsuit is to run your properties in a sloppy way. Treating tenants unequally constitutes discrimination. If you take one day to fix one sink, but you take three weeks to fix a different sink, you could be sued for discrimination and lose.
Aside from the ethical consideration of whether you should pay a section 8 tenant who has been evicted three times and leave this predator in the market to screw other landlords over, there is a liability consideration. If you pay this person to leave, but you will not pay every one of your delinquent tenants to leave, then you are leaving yourself wide open for a lawsuit. From the people who are most likely to sue you.
You say that you successfully sued large insurance companies in tort trials. I have a hard time believing that you did that without a lawyer. You complain that if you would have had a lawyer he could have pushed the tenant or judge into this or that. If you would have had a lawyer, you could protect yourself from being sued by all of the eviction tenants, past present and future, for making mistakes in the eviction process.
Lawyers are not in the business of kicking deadbeat tenants out of their homes (although for $500, I can pay any one of many who are real good at it). Lawyers are in the business of knowing the law, and representing people who need to interact with the judicial system.
Here in California, the eviction process is fairly complicated, but it involves serving the tenant papers, filing documents with the courthouse, and it could involve getting a judgment or going to trial, or both. The reason that the tenant gives for going to trial does not need to be anything worthwhile. An attorney can get an eviction faster and protect a landlord better than anyone deciding to go it alone.
There is a scumbag attorney in the Santa Barbara area, who finds tenants who are going through an eviction, and for a small fee, can throw so many problems into the legal process, that tenants can live there for free long after they should have been evicted, especially if the landlord does not have adequate legal counsel. This guy can teach the tenant how to be a professional tenant, living for free, and using the law to protect themselves from being forcibly removed.
Don’t think of what an attorney could give you, think of what you are giving up by not having a good one on your team.

Just my opinion

Mikey buddy, relax, i love this forum but merely make the point, there are MANY different ways to achieve an objective, and whether you like it or not, sometimes you bite the bullet to save money and time.

First, my name is not “Mikey”.
Second, I am not your buddy. When you attack someone and insult them, they are not your buddy.

Third, I agree that there are many different ways to achieve an objective. Your way is to pay people who steal from you. My way is to evict deadbeats. Your way is to treat tenants differently. I treat all my tenants the same. Your way is to be a weak landlord. My way is to ensure that the lease terms are followed.

Why do you continue to insist on trying to make it like I was bashing the forum members here?

Here’s your quote. You be the judge.

you know where I learned that from? The TOP members of my local REI Club, guys worth big $$$$$$ and surely not hanging around forums.

That doesn’t seem to be said in jest. Just a simple insult to everyone that posts here.

“Mikey” :rolleyes

Alrighty then chief. :halo

Update-

I called the tenants’ lawyer this am and was told that the tenant had vacated the premiss had been vacated last week. I had asked the lawyer to call me when the keys were dropped off, of course she did not. I went over to my house to find a door kicked in and a severed water line in the basement. After wading through 4"-5" of water I found the main cutoff. The rest of the home was still in pretty good shape, no holes in the wall, paint looked good, floors a little gouged from her 300lb+ self in ‘its’ favorite chair.

Basement and door should be almost 2k. New/used appliances, carpet, light and pluming fixtures, window trim, and touch up paint will be around 2k-4k. Holding time has cost 4k+.

I now see completely and clearly why it is imperative to buy at a deep discount. With these factors and the slow market I hope to make 15k… and that’s before taxes.

I go back to court in a couple of days to argue the money issue. I will win a judgement but who knows if I will ever see it. I still want it.

I will update later unless others are tired of this thread.

Bovine,

Keep posting. Now that you’ve strung us along this far, we’ve got to see how this story ends!

I am also going to court - tomorrow morning. The last scumbag that I evicted made a big mess and I’m suing them for $3,000. Of course my management company did the work AND THEY AREN’T CHEAP!!! What really made me mad was that they abandoned a baby kitten outside in freezing weather. Luckily, it survived and I was able to find a good home for it, but these scumbags really pissed me off. So, although I usually don’t sue the deadbeats, I’m making an exception in this case. I probably won’t collect, but I’m going to do everything possible to make these scumbags miserable for as long as possible!

Mike

Bovine - keep posting so we can hear how it all comes out.

I would just emphasize the lesson that is here for all investors. Bovine started posting this in September about the property he bought in August. It was over four months and $4k because of all the nonsense. Yeah, lots of landlords can take care of an eviction, Bovine did to. But it cost $4k and who knows how many hours getting it done.

There are certain people you should get as part of your real estate team. #1 is a good accountant, and #2 is a good RE attorney. If you rehab or rent out then #3 is a good handyman/contractor.

You can do everything yourself, and when I started I did. However to be truly successful you need to learn when to delegate important things that can best be handled by others. If an attorney could have done the job in 6 weeks and $1,200 then it would have been a bargain in time and money, not to mention the grief you went through. When you start it often makes sense to do a lot of the detail work yourself but very soon you are much better of paying someone else to do it.

Get out of the habit of being self reliant. Get into the habit of letting good, smart people work for you.