Land Trusts and Taxation

So, if an agent who is also an investor were to set up LLCs, then it would be best to have the one their agent sales pt is under as well as rental LLCs treated as corporations and the rest treated as partnerships/proprietorships?

Hopefully I got it. LoL. If not, just let me know. :slight_smile:

Also, I found on the MD Comptroller site the following:

'Maryland will follow the IRS rules for a single member LLC electing to be disregarded as a separate entity (“check the box”) and certain partnerships that do not actively conduct a business that have elected not to be treated as a partnership.’

This leads me to believe that we have the option to be taxed as a S-Corporation. Am I interpretting it right?

Go back to my earlier comments in this thread and Mark Wagner’s supplemental comments.

If you want your LLC to be treated as a corporation, file Form 8832. The default is to a C-corporation. You need to file another form with the IRS that changes the tax treatment for your LLC from a C-corp to an S-corp.

I have 2 properties in Virgina in my name. I also have an S CORP. Would it make sence to put this land into a land trust and how much would that cost? do I have to redo the mortgage?

These questions are more appropriate for your attorney.

I understand that Dave. My question was whether or not the treatment of an LLC s a corporation is allowed in MD since some states don’t allow it (according to another post). I found a blurb on the MD Comptroller’s page and whether or not anyone else interpretted it the same as I did.

The treatment we have been discussing so far is for federal income tax reporting.

MD requires a separate state business return for your LLC depending upon how you elect to have your LLC treated for federal income tax purposes. If your LLC is treated for federal income tax purposes as a disregarded entity, as a partnership, or as an S-corp, then it is a pass-through entity. In MD, pass-through entities file a Pass-through Entity Income tax Return, using MD Form 510.

If your LLC is treated as a C-corporation which files a federal corporate tax return in its own right (Form 1120), then your LLC will file a MD Corporation Income Tax Return, using MD Form 500.

Hope this answers your question.

It does. Thanks Dave! :slight_smile: