50 % Rule

Let me see how you get a sustainable 200/mo positive cash flow from the numbers submitted.

$15K cash purchase means no debt service. Taxes and Insurance are $3200 per year, and assume another $400 per year for incidental maintenance or repairs. So overhead expenses run $300 per month.

If the property is self managed, and stays fully occupied, a monthly rental of $500 minus monthly overhead of $300 gives $200 monthly cash flow.

if you are in the 15% tax bracket, then capital gains earned in the 15% bracket is tax free this year. Unrecaptured depreciation will still be taxed, however.

I don’t know about you, but i’m not overly optimistic to ASSUME full occupancy on rentals, and i like to think worst case on the expenses. Also, the O.P never stated he will self manage or do repairs himself. I also think the expenses you assume are not sustainable. what i’m saying is if the numbers are overly optimistic you’re not giving youself enough cushion, should something go wrong. the taxes+insurance account for more than 50% of the gross rent PER MONTH. leaving you 240 of which you claim a 200 positive cash flow. that’s allocating 40 for monthly expenses…i just don’t see it. i hope you all are seeing something i’m not.
regards,
Desmond.
Kamere Realty Group,LLC

Kamere_invester,

This is a think outside the traditional box situation. Of course, my encouragement is heavily hedged by circumstances that were never fully defined by monnchew. Yes, it is the safest course of action to make assumptions that support the worst case scenario.

If monnchew self-manages, if the property is in decent shape to begin with, if the property is a desirable rental, and if the rent is below market for the neighborhood, this deal could work. It is a bonus if monnchew has basic handyman skills and can do minor repairs himself.

We don’t know all the facts and circumstances. I am simply pointing out that this property is still an opportunity in the right circumstances.

I have a property that I purchased for $38K several years ago. My tenant just renewed his annual lease for the 12th time – this year will be his 13th as my tenant. In the past twelve years, the repair costs have averaged less than half of one month’s rent each year. By the way, this is a Section 8 tenant just in case you have some worst case assumptions about Section 8.

I have another where the tenant has been with me for ten years, and just signed another two year lease. I paid $50K for that property in 1998. Taxes and insurance consume 40% of the monthly rent. I own the property free and clear, and by now, the annual cash flow has fully reimbursed me for the cost of the property.

Every now and then, we do get properties where the tenant stays forever, takes good care of the property, and the unscheduled repairs are really pocket change when amortized over the length of the tenant’s lease.