rehab schedule

Hey folks:

Is there such a thing as a schedule for rehabbing? Some type of format; what to do first, what to do last, things like that?

Thanks

I am sure you could find a ton of info on this, but I look at it this way. Inside out top to bottom. Meaning anything inside the walls is done first, then go from the ceiling to the floor. You just have to use a little common sense when scheduling the contractors.

I would go something like this…of course the list is arguable depending on personal wants/desires – some may not be nessary…and is not set in stone:

(1) Repair/replace roof
(2) Repair/replace eaves work (soffit/fascia)
(3) Replace/repair siding, etc.
(4) Repair/replace exterior doors
(5) Interior demolition (tear out carpet/flooring, fixtures, cabinets, molding/trim, walls, ceilings, insulation, wiring, plumbing, etc)
(6) Rough-ins (plumbing, electrical, etc.)
(7) Replace insulation
(8) Sheetrock
(9) Install cabinets, etc.
(10) Finish plumbing, electrical, etc.
(11) Finish trimwork (casings, moldings, baseboards, interior doors, etc.)
(12) Paint (interior/exterior)
(13) Install flooring
(14) Touch-ups
(15) Clean
(16) Landscaping

I think I got the worst of it!

Keith

Keith you are a great typist and very well organized! ;D I love your great lists!

If you are new to this, not a handy man and you’ve picked up a disaster (aka needs some TLC, which can mean, there are trees on the inside growing out the roof), get yourself a good general contractor. You can learn from them, if you pay close attention, and stay on top of the job.

Good luck to you!

<<Keith you are a great typist>>

Right! This took me forever to type and then I had to renumber it because I forget a step!

LOL…

Keith

I think you also have to take weather into account. I live in the Northeast, so with the winter coming, I’ll be trying to do the outside stuff first. Of course with frequent rains, I’ll be forced inside on many days, meaning I have to have a flexible schedule. I think flexibility is key in doing rehabs… sometimes scheduling, weather, whatever forces you to adjust and adapt.

If you’ve got roofing and other “sealing” issues, you’ve gotta get them closed up…I think you’ll see that I also think that you need to do most of the outside stuff first. I live in Louisiana…if you start with the insulation and sheetrocking before making sure the roof doesn’t leak, you may have a real problem if it rains hard!

Some of the things on the list can be adjusted for weather (like exterior painting, etc. but you’ve gotta get it at least weather resistant…that said, some things can happen simultaneously (like roofing and interior demolition, etc.

Keith