We apologize, but the forums are closed for new posts. Click Here To Join The Unemployables Facebook Group

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2021, 07:24:17 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2021, 07:24:17 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Author Topic: Tenants car went through Back of Garage  (Read 13135 times)

Offline black95gt

Re:Tenants car went through Back of Garage
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 10:28:00 am »
Kenvest, I agree that it is not the tow companys fault that th cops call in to have a vehicle towed.  I had my boat towed one night. In reality it was my fault as i got a 24 hour warning to move the boat, but the damn cop stuck it uner the tow strap at the front of the boat so that you couldnt see it.  Anyways the boat was literally towed across the street and was in the impound lot for about 8 hours and they charged me $80 cash, (no CC,or checks accepted...hmmmm i wonder why ) to get it out and then told me i better get it out that day or it would be $30 more per day.  This is where they become crooks.  Seriously $80?  When my sisters car broke down and they had to tow it from 20 miles away, they only charged her $35. Then on top of it, the guy is just the biggest A-hole, which he didnt need to be.  So yeah, the ones that i have dealt with are crooks in the event that they gouge their prices because they can......

One things for certain here, is the 4-plex that i live in, I am trying to buy it, and his parents live there which he pays the rent.  needless to say their rent will be going up, and when he asks why, i guess i will have to tell him that i have to be able to afford to get my vehicles out of the lot if they ever end up there again lol

Offline kdhastedt

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 10:53:30 am »

...lol, Black -- you should also make him find you and pay the rent in cash -- no checks or credit cards!

Why is that ALL tow truck companies are @$$holes?

Keith
I have CDO...it's like OCD but in alphabetical order - the way it should be!

Offline black95gt

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 11:02:55 am »
im not going to hold my breath on getting the complex becasue it is probably the nicest 4-plex in town and we only pay $650, which should probably be more like 900-1000 per month, hence the reason i have not seen a vacancy in the year that i have been there.  He would probably want to get $250,000 for this unit which 2 units are rented at $650 per month and 2 at $550 per month.  Very nice units though.....mostly all older people too.

Offline Bluemoon06

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 11:33:33 am »
kenvest, I am sorry, I didn't know it was your truck. :redface:

No really, I am speaking from statistics.  Of course not all of any profession is bad or good, but there is a propensity for certain types of people to do certain type of jobs.  In general (the same person that makes a good elementary school teacher wonít make a good police officer etc) A tow truck driver is a second chance type of job.  You can get that job after a stint in the county jail but you canít get a job at Target or Home Depot.  You also deal with people that are irate a lot and that tends to run some of the nicer people out and the tow truck companies have to hire people that will deal with that.  
Now for the facts.  In Houston they passed a law that whenever a car stopped on the side of a major freeway that car has to be towed by a city approved towing company within 20 minutes (the safetow program).  Since the city had to vouch for the towing companies, they had to check out the drivers.  They had to scale back by 2/3 the size of the program because of how many ex-cons were driving the tow trucks.  Because of that I have to assume (and you should too) that when I am dealing with a tow truck driver I am dealing with a crook.  Donít trust them.
By the way, where else can you learn how to pop a lock with a slim jim like they do?
Real estate to Retire you
http://sphinxwealth.com/

Offline kenvest

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 02:15:54 pm »
as far as popping locks, any snap-on or mac tool dealer can supply you with the tools needed and they even come with a nice "how-to" manual.

i guess real estate investing is also a good second chance gig.  all you need is money and if you're a crook, you should have plenty of that.

as far as assuming anything about anybody, i know better to assume, which, by the way, is a key element in being successful at REI.  

statistics.......follow sats the rest of your life and you'll miss alot of opportunites in the real estate market.  its probably a safe bet for those with little or no life experience.

as far as charging 80 bucks to tow your boat and babysit it a few hours.....you'll occasionally read where some savvy investor contracted the little old ladies house and then flipped it in a day or so making 10's of thousands of dollars....you'd call him (or her) a hero, not a crook.........

tow truck drivers are an unsavory bunch, i'll give you that.  but so are brick masons, plumbers, carpenters and everyone else that doesn't fit into your narrowly focused scope of what people should or shouldn't be.  wonder how many excons are working your paint crew?

ever wonder if that same tow truck driver would make a good source for property?  wonder if they ever tow junk cars from distressed homes?  wonder if peoples automobiles get popped before the house does?

in the end, tow truck drivers might actually make a good judge of character.  i myself, have never had a problem with them, just the rules they follow, rules incarnated by some chair sitting munch like yourself that you'd probably think was a nice guy...

so while your standing there judging the tow truck driver, he's getting his
a--hole hat on....serves you right....

« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 02:26:28 pm by kdhastedt »

Offline black95gt

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 02:47:20 pm »
as far as charging 80 bucks to tow your boat and babysit it a few hours.....you'll occasionally read where some savvy investor contracted the little old ladies house and then flipped it in a day or so making 10's of thousands of dollars....you'd call him (or her) a hero, not a crook.........

the difference here is the little old lady musta got what she wanted for the house, and as long as she was happy then there was no harm done.  If she sold it for $50,000 and it was worth $100,000. she shoulda did some checking into this before she sold.  On the other hand I have to pay $80 to get it out and another $30 per day after that and i have no choice but to pay it.  What if i dont have the money to get it out? then i have to let it sit there and collecta  $30 fine for every day its there till it gets to the point where they keep the car.  I guess all im saying is $35 -$40 would be reasonable, but $80 is unfair.  I would hate to know what it is in an actual big city.

Offline kdhastedt

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 02:54:41 pm »
It was $160/$60 in Northern Virginia when they "stole" my car...I say stole because I was following all of their little rules and was in the grocery store in the strip mall (after having a coffee at the coffee shop in the same mall) and when I came back, my truck was gone...they told me that the "management" knew that I worked across the street and wasn't supposed to park there (which was true), except I was on a vacation day and stopped for a cup of coffee and then went to pick up a few groceries.

I plead my case to the strip mall management and they actually gave me my money back.  But, first I had to pay $160 in cash...and the tow lot was less than a mile away!  Yeah, kenvest, they ARE a buncha knuckle-dragging crooks!

Keith
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 02:57:25 pm by kdhastedt »

Offline black95gt

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2005, 03:02:35 pm »
yeah i figured the $80 was probably cheap compared to most places

Offline kenvest

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2005, 03:08:06 pm »
so the little old lady should have done her due-diligence...how nice....

anybody believing that is no better than any tow truck driver.

and i guess the tow truck driver was just waiting for you to park there while you went and had a frapacino or some such mess so he could tow your car...get real

Offline black95gt

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2005, 03:14:10 pm »
So Kenvest...if your trying to sell your house for $50,000 and i offer you $40,000 and you accept it. Your obviously happy with that (or desperate to get rid of it).  Then if i go and sell it for $60,000 or whatever....whats wrong with that??  you got your money, i made some, we should both be happy.......comparing this to a tow truck situation is like comparing apples to oranges...you cant compare them

Offline kenvest

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2005, 03:19:12 pm »
there's things not to like about people or trends in every business and while we are comparing apples and oranges, i think we've shown that its a no win situation for the tow truck guy.  no body wants to have their car pulled so he's got a bad wrap before he even shows up.

if you want to complain about his prices, do your due-dilegence, just like the old lady should've, and stay off the hook!

Offline kdhastedt

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2005, 03:32:06 pm »

I did NOTHING wrong and he stole my truck!  Then he wants $160 to get it back...AND he's a dick about it!  

He actually says, "Don't leave your toys where they don't belong"!  Well, Scooter...I was shopping.  I legally parked my truck in a clearly-marked parking space, underneath a sign the says "2-hour parking for customers only"...I was gone 20 minutes into two stores in the mall (making me a 'customer') and when I get back you had stolen my truck..."Tough $hit...you want your truck back?  It's $160"  --yeah he's a dick and a knuckle-dragging grease monkey wanna-be (but is not smart enough to to be a mechanic)...

Offline kenvest

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2005, 03:40:02 pm »
now that you've SINGLED him out as a "knuckle dragging, grease monkey wantabe", i'll buy into that.....i still have a hard time beleiving he was just sitting there waiting for someone to park and pulled you out in 20 minutes.  the tow truck driver isn't the only one profiting here, somebody called him.......

there's pricks and a-holes in every sector of scociety....but i won't lump all corporate execs as being theives because of the enron fiasco....

Offline TamiSpartan

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2005, 05:38:18 pm »
Geez what the heck happened to this thread?? Let's admit it here and now, there are good and bad people in all industries.

Shake hands and let's get on with it  ;D If you happen to drive a tow truck for a living and take this thread that personally, tell everyone, nicely they are wrong, and move on -- politely.

BTW Black I've been dying to know how this is all working out for you -- please share. I, personally, learn from you all regularly. I'm very interested in how this is going forward.

~Tami

Offline kenvest

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2005, 07:54:42 am »
as someone who's had the good fortune of using my hands to make a living most of my life as well as graduating with a degree in business, it burns my tail when people lump all members of any given profession, even the sketchy ones, into such a negative category.  i've had paper pusher, i'm going to assume thats what the largest part of the audience here is, look down on me and everyone else who gets dirty for a living most of my life and if i ever get the chance to call somebody on the ignorance they display, i'll do it.

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines