Bird-Dogging is it legal?

I wanted to post this before tonight’s chat as I would rather have a positive and productive chat than have Realtor’s or real estate agents asking about the legalities of Bird Dogging. :argue

In my e-book I say have a qualified attorney check your paperwork as I do in my Subject To manual. As everyone is aware state statutes differ from state to state so to be on the safe side have a professional review your paperwork. I do not believe in generic ‘one size fits all’ peperwork when it comes to investing no matter what method is used.

The local Real Estate Boards impose regulation relevant to the distribution or aid in distribution of a homestead with the intent to protect the consumer (and in some rare cases monopolize the marketplace).

Whether or not this legislation is put into place in a criminal or a civil context, it does appear fairly evident that the enforcement of this legislation would be limited to that of:

a) When a consumer is being blind-sided (ie: you are acting on his or her behalf without proper licensing and steering him/her wrong)

b) You are continuously taking a “fee” for selling real estate.

If you are working with an investor, and you are paid by the investor, who has experience in real estate transactions, and you are not party to that transaction (ie: a consultant) you should, (this is not to be construed as legal advice) be ok, for the following reasons:

1. You are taking a fee for selling information, not real estate (nobody can prevent you from charging $5.00 to tell him or her were the nearest gas station is, or where the nearest “deal” is)

2. Even if legislation was in place to protect the consumer, you have conducted no harm to the consumer…so in a semi-perfect world, you can indeed pay for a lead on a house!

I think it is important to know, most investors are opposed to the local Real Estate Boards attempting to corner the market on Buying/Selling properties, I am certainly of the opinion that the local Boards would like to see no investors/creative RE at all so that they can continue to take a small chunk out of every property sold and have the properties sold according to their “rules & regulations”.

There is also such a thing as a simple Partnership Agreement, thereby making you and the investor principals in the transaction. The Bird Dog is bought out of the Partnership by the investor, thereby violating no State Statute.

John $Cash$ Locke

PS: We have Subject To jails, DOS prisons, now I find we need to find a place to house Bird Dogs. :zzz

good one

I love this post! :beer

Well said. It is legal because you are selling information not real estate