We apologize, but the forums are closed for new posts. Click Here To Join The Unemployables Facebook Group

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 03, 2023, 04:15:04 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 03, 2023, 04:15:04 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Author Topic: Neighbor harassing potential tenants  (Read 9817 times)

Offline TamiSpartan

Re:Neighbor harassing potential tenants
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 04:46:54 pm »
"If you cannot control yourself in the future...I'll hire a flesh eating attorney to crawl through your nether regions to see what you had for breakfast."

This is my most favorite post yet! Especially the part quoted above. With my luck that woman would be calling me every single day and a few times in the middle of the night with minor issues (thank goodness for business lines). But, I do think it is a great way to go. And, you can always hope she'll kick the bucket soon :) <I'm not as mean as this sounds -- but business is business>

I have a neighbor behind one of my houses, the husband and wife came over to introduce themselves one afternoon. Each in their mid to late 70's. So sweet, or so I thought -- a minister and his wife.

One of my contractors was finishing up a punch list and I happened to be at the property. This contractor brings his dog, with my permission, and leaves him chained to a tree in the back (he did this for six weeks and there was never an issue). You never hear a thing out of the dog unless he sees his owner. Well, the dog saw his dad and starting barking and whining. All of a sudden I heard words you cannot believe coming from that old man. I didn't leave him my card as promised, and I do worry for my tenants. They have three kids and this minister DOES NOT LIKE ANY NOISE LOL.

People are different to your face as the owner of the property, than they are to your workers and/or tenants. Because I know the rest of the neighbors are relatively nice, and they really love the minister -- I'm hoping all will be OK for my tenants.

But, I'm keeping that flesh-eating attorney idea in mind, just in case :)

Tami

~Tami

Offline kdhastedt

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 06:37:08 pm »

Are there other flavors of attornies?  

(LOL -- just kidding of course.)

Keith
I have CDO...it's like OCD but in alphabetical order - the way it should be!

Offline Bluemoon06

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 01:55:22 pm »
You have to deal with these people from what they understand.  These types of people donít think about threatening letters like you and I.  They believe that they have a right to warn off bad neighbors that will threaten their property.  My letter will first alert them that I am aware of their harassment, and then assure them that as the owner of the property you have a goal to rent to the best tenant possible.  You will be following your leasing process which includes assessing the prospective tenantís ability to pay as well as their character.  While you canít be held accountable for their actual character, you do have an interest in making sure the tenant passes some standards during background checks.  If they allow you to use your tenant selection process it will reduce the time and also prevent you from having to report them to police send them lawyers, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc., etc.

I had a different problem.  About 3 years ago, I had a guy that believed that he owned one of my properties (his grandmother owned it about 3 owners ago).  When I would put up for rent signs, he would take them down.  When perspective tenants would come by, he would tell them that he was the owner and the property was not for rent.  I sent the police to see him, I had my lawyer threaten to sue him (but he owned nothing).  I had to take matters into my own hands.  I started to show the property to prospective tenants myself instead of having them just drive by and walk the property.  Me being there, I was a deterrent.  The only thing that really worked for that situation is that he turned up dead one day.  
Real estate to Retire you
http://sphinxwealth.com/

Offline kdhastedt

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 02:14:11 pm »

Inquiring minds want to know...

You have a harrasser that turns up dead...will we see this on an upcoming episode of "CSI"???

Offline Bluemoon06

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2005, 02:25:09 pm »
I though about after I wrote it.  He really turned up dead.  Although I am a big nasty guy with an ugly disposition, I had nothing to do with it.

The talk in the neighborhood is that he had a drug induced heart attack or something.
Real estate to Retire you
http://sphinxwealth.com/

Offline kdhastedt

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2005, 02:31:56 pm »

Gil Grissom and the gang will figure out if that is true or not...LOL

Offline aak5454

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2005, 11:49:46 pm »
thats yet another way to win against old, mean neighbors.......just out live them.  I have an old guy across the street from my house who is a real jerk, but he is about 75, I'm 33......I WILL win in the end.

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines