First rehab going fast.

We are doing a new rehab now. This is our first. We are zooming along faster than I had anticipated. We would love to ask the seasoned flippers some input on what sells. Color schemes, what kind of hardware handles, kitchen wear. etc. etc.

Thank you all so much.

https://oncarrot.com/app/uploads/sites/10050/2017/01/IMG_4203-1.jpg

https://oncarrot.com/app/uploads/sites/10050/2017/01/IMG_6731-Large.jpg

https://oncarrot.com/app/uploads/sites/10050/2012/01/IMG_5071-Large.jpg

https://oncarrot.com/app/uploads/sites/10050/2017/01/IMG_7118-Large.jpg

Hi,

You have an interesting remodel. Why did you decide to remove all the sheetrock in your photo? Was it damaged?

I typically will remove single pane windows and replace them with duel or triple pane low e gas filled vinyl windows! I will replace all exterior doors with thermal insulated duel or triple pane glass if an insert is present and new duel / triple pane French doors, sliding glass doors, etc.

I will replace flush doors inside with pre hung six panel doors, nickel hinges, make sure all door trim and base trim is matching! We generally paint a chaparral colored wall paint with flat white ceilings, semi gloss Swiss coffee for baseboard, door and window trim, wainscoting and interior doors! We replace every switch, wall plug and GFCI new with new white covers! All fan / light combo’s with nickel finish and natural wood blades, ceiling lights, bath lights, etc. with nickel finishes! White can lights trim rings and nickel finish pendant lights.

Interiors we replace bath tubs with over width / over height acrylic tubs, new toilet, new matching kitchen bath cabinets, new nickel faucet, tub / shower combo valves and shower heads! All bath accessories in nickel, we use screw in wall anchors in baths (No plug anchors). We use nickel door stops and nickel hinge stops, we usually do solid surface matching kitchen counters with under mount sinks with overflow! Mirrored beveled edge medicine cabinets usually in wall mount but have had situations where we had to surface mount medicine cabinets.

We tile floors in baths with usually 18x18 or 24x24 or plank type tiles and do our tub surrounds in tile with trim band as accents. (Make sure you buy and install soap dishes in tub / shower combo’s usually back wall 12 to 18 inches above tub and about 15 to 18 inches from back wall.) We do nickel shower curtain rods and typically provide a liner in each bath as a courtesy. All door knobs, closet knobs and bath knobs in nickel finish. We do nickel quickset (Quick Key) locks with dead bolt / door lock combo’s.

We are installing camera systems and security systems with all homes now, typically an 8 camera system and a “Simple Safe” or similar system. We are wiring most of our stuff now with CAT6 cable capable of 1G speeds and usually bringing everything into a closet or coat closet or utility room shelf to simplify wiring both hard and wireless! Bathrooms and utility rooms require vent fans, we provide vent fans even if an exterior window exists as most people don’t crack the window in extreme cold or heat.

Kitchens glass cook top stove (Electric) or gas with matching 4 piece white / black or stainless package depending on theme, look and appearance required. We typically use depending on house value home depot cabinets up to custom cabinets, we don’t blow the budget here, but just look for an appealing look and will try to install a “Lazy Susan” and generally try to coordinate having an exterior opening large enough to get it through before we install finished products. (A Lazy Susan take’s about 36" clear inches to fit it through.)

We use nickel kitchen faucets, under mount stainless sinks, garbage disposal with dishwasher connection, every plug above a kitchen counter must be GFCI protected as per code. Granite counter tops and 4 inch back splash and then we typically will finish off kitchen sink walls in a glass mosaic tile, we wire and set up for over cabinet / under cabinet lighting including light switch’s and power. Bring water in the wall or behind the base of the cabinets to provide ice and water in door of the refrigerator / freezer. We provide a light over kitchen sink.

We are now trying to install LED lighting and motion sensor on / off switches in bathrooms and kitchens! Wood or tile kitchen floors, mirrored closet wardrobes in bedrooms or 6 panel door slabs with slider kits for sliding door closets!

It looks like you bought 4x12 drywall board, that’s great if you have a sub hanging it for you, but hard for most amateur drywall hangers to handle. You have a damaged truss above in the photo - cut 2 pieces of 3.5 foot long 2x4 and put one on each side of the damage to create a splint and nail them in place equal lengths on each end beyond the damage, otherwise you have a weak truss! (Do not try to remove the binding plates and replace the whole length of 2x4 as the truss will lose it’s structural integrity.)

I would do all your rough work inside, pop any new vents or stacks through the roof then get your whole exterior done first so you know you don’t have leaks or openings where bugs or rodents can get into your new work! What condition is the roof? HVAC System? Electrical? and Plumbing in? Did you repair all the wiring mess you had inside from removing walls?

Typically on the outside we use body color, trim color, eve color and maybe a door accent color? What are your landscaping plans? Garage? Garage doors? Driveway?

GR

No actually, this is very helpful!
I now have a big list to go through. Very good points and now I have a clear direction :slight_smile:
Thank you!

Very on the point reply.
First. The walls were indeed damaged. More than damaged they were nasty and moldy.
The roof was in horrible shape so we replaced it.
That truss was indeed fixed and we have subs doing the drywall. I am about to head over now to check the status.

http://www.thatflippinhouse.com/rock-the-sheet-out-of-this-house/img_7208/

I can tell you really know what you are doing as our contractor has mentioned all you mentioned to the dot!
Great thank you so much. I have a lot to look into now!! Would be awesome if you commented along the way. Will share more pics with progress.
:slight_smile:

Hi DLee!

First rehabs are always exciting, frustrating, chock full of learning experiences and become your baby. Neutral Colors (versions of off white, beige and gray) are always safe and make it easy to stage, give the appearance for spaciousness, cleanliness and pleasing to vast population of home buyers.

Tip: Make sure you are staying on top of recent solds in the area so you don’t over rehab or price your self out of a quick sale. That info often may help steer your rehab choices as well.

Let me introduce myself, my name is Camille Baptiste and I am the website content manger for REIClub.com. Your rehab project caught my attention and it look like it is turning out to be a fun project for you.

Now - I would love to feature your rehab progress in REIClub’s Success Story section or follow your progress on our real estate blog?
No need to any extra or special…just keep doing what ya doing and share your progress with me and I will take care of the rest.

Interested? You can reach via PM or here: http://www.reiclub.com/success-stories.php (check it out and hit the contact us button)