Big corporations will not hire entrepreneurs.

This week I have been rejected by four different big box stores. They wont hire me. This has persisted for many years actually. I consider myself an excellent applicant. I would love to work at a big box store and meet lots of people and learn everything i can! However i can not get past the first interview.

I can find no other explanation other then my employment history for the past several years is self-employed. They dont like workers who take the bull by its horns.

Here are couple articles for validating my predicament:

http://qz.com/97962/entrepreneurs-need-not-apply-companies-shun-the-self-employed/

http://www.relationship-economy.com/2013/07/why-corporations-wont-hire-an-entrepreneur/

Also take into consideration that all of the big box stores are the same entity just with different storefronts. Places like Walmart, Target, Home depot, McDonalds, and Best Buy, are all operated by the same mega corporation. Its called our government.

I really want to work at a big box store. Any ideas for making this happen?

Why in the world would you both complain AND ask advice here on how to be an employee?

You are correct about the bias against entrepreneurs. So what? Stop beating your head against the wall. You know, find out where the ‘stud’ is first, so you can more easily bang your head through the wall instead.

Good employees are rarely cut out to be entrepreneurs. They want security and regularity. And visa versa. That’s not a criticism. It’s an observation. Entrepreneurs make terrible employees, because they chafe under strict supervision, and don’t appreciate security, and relish in irregularity.

I suspect that you are a classic entrepreneur, and have difficulty holding a job, and don’t necessary present yourself very well to a corporate environment. I’m only guessing. That’s not meant to be a criticism, but simply an observation (from what you’ve already posted).

Meantime, I was a terrible employee, and even worse corporate employee. However, I was able to land jobs. It was just that I also kept being fired over and over again from them. And the reason(s), (mostly) according to those who fired me, I didn’t follow corporate policies. Sure I didn’t. I could think, and felt free to exercise my free will, and color outside the lines. Uh, no. That wasn’t working for me. I learned that thinking for yourself and acting on your free will was ‘double jeopardy’ for (short-term) corporately-employed mavericks such as myself.

So, I stopped trying to fit my round peg into their square holes.

Why you aren’t expanding your existing landscape business I can’t guess. Seems to me you’re in a 365 day opportunity with LOTS of people willing to work for someone else, and do labor under you, if you simply started finding more work, or larger clients.

My church friend, started pruning trees for a living. He scrounged around for contracts to prune trees for property managers, but hit the jackpot after he bid the City of Garden Grove’s entire tree maintenance contract and got it.

This was HUGE. Of course, he was the low bidder, but now he had steady, sure income, and lots of opportunities to make extra money when the city wanted something done that was outside his contract.

And by the way, he also invested in real estate.

I suspect otherwise, that you need to look for a job in a much smaller situation, where they need someone who can think and chew gum, learn fast, and is not a threat to a corporate environment. Larger mom and pop operators are much more open to smart people who will work for a reasonable wage, than tiny companies, or large corporate employers.

FWIW

Hmmm. Totally agree.

Thing is that trimming trees and bushes is something i do not like doing. It pays the bills but it is unwise doing work you do not enjoy.

Ive applied at STAPLES copy and print centers. Think of how much of a marketing wizard that would make me! Then again, it would be like my other jobs, id get fired for not fitting in for the same exact reasons you mentioned.

My landscaping company is growing but at a snails pace. I need a business mentor for the basics. My company must be built up to accomodate larger workloads…

“Dream big because what you dream is what you will do.”

“If you want to make tons of money, do not be shy: set big goals.”

—Donald Trump, from the book Think Big and Kick Ass

I think you have deeper issues than this forum can help you with.

I suggest professional counseling.

Why would you want to work at Staples? I just bought a $260 paper folding machine there. Should increase productivity by 2,000% according to most recent estimates.

Listen to the advice here given you, most of which I agrees with.

From my observation, besides the issues mentioned, your involved in far too many things, and there’s no focus on anything. From what I see, your involved in:

House watching service
Volunteering where you were bullied
Got your real estate license
Landscaping
Going to libraries and reading up on wholesaling
Visiting mobile home parks for wholesaling
Interviewing for jobs at big box stores
Looking to buy 100 story skyscrapers

etc. etc.

There’s probably a lot more than these, though this all I can recall. You should concentrate on two things, three at the most. The best is where the 2 or 3 things are complimentary.

You also mentioned you’re 21 years old back in 1981. In another post, you mentioned you lost a lot of weight, and in poor physical shape. For entry level big box stores, they’re looking for younger guys in good physical shape, so you can see there’s lots of competition out there.

In my earlier career, I worked for a major company, then gone into real estate, then another major company, then computer consulting, then a project manager at a major company, then bought a small company, sold it, and finally in the semi-retired part time job at a non profit. In other words, I was in and out of self employment and working for others. I have to admit some employers did ask me pointedly what I feel about having a boss, a younger one at that, after you’ve been your own boss.

In other words, I had no problems going from being self employed and then back to a job. But you have to look good, be enthused, and have a good attitude.

Good luck.

Hi,

I have no clue how to respond to the two latter replies.

I am applying for a stable part time job with benefits and I am available every evening.

Another reason I have applied for part time jobs is that a legit job would probably qualify me for a first time home buyers program and that would be a launching pad for me to obtaining my first piece of property, and I could get multiple bedrooms and rent them out learning how to landlord, and using that first time property as leverage for purchasing additional properties.

I often have to contend with slanted arguments from real estate investors that were given their first property for free by their parents, or given jobs that pay enough to survive, or gifted tons of money to get started with investing, or just gifted whole portfolios of real estate for nothings day.

Im starting from scratch all on my own. No support or anything like that. Also all of the business mentors I have spent time with all had everything given to them and they were financially supported in ways that I am not finding myself. Its like they were born with a leg up and then get angry when you point out that their generation was born on Easy Street.

That is why I keep applying for big box jobs. Some degree of legitimacy.

For my landscaping business, same thing. This is not the 1980’s anymore. Everything is not set up like the land of the free, not for me at least. It takes money to scale up business’. It takes mentoring. It takes family. It takes time…

When you interview tell them what they want to hear not what you want them to know. They have no idea that you worked for yourself unless you told them. If you cooked up burgers at your restaurant just tell them you cooked burgers. If you made ready apartments for your business tell them you made ready apartments.

Here is a tshirt they sell from this website, I laughed

http://www.reiclub.com/products/527

Hi,

What is the name of your yard maintenance company?

I worked for “ABC Yard Maintenance Company” as a yard services technician!
Use your wife or girlfriends phone number to verify your employment!

Then fill out the application with the information and verify your employment!

I work for my own corporations and I am an employee of those corporations and a stock or unit share holder as owner!

GR

Ears, you continue to imagine how things won’t work for you.

Instead of taking advantage of the opportunities staring you in the face, you insist on pursuing what you insist are impossibilities.

You also insist on doing everything the most unimaginative, conventional way possible.

You know who also does this? Brain-dead drones.

I’ve already explained how you can own a home without a bank here: http://www.reiclub.com/forums/index.php/topic,60764.msg284856.html#msg284856

You continue to be paralyzed by fear of making mistakes.

Assuming that isn’t true, the fastest way to expand your business, is to buy out contracts from existing contractors. The next best way is to get referrals from existing clients.

===========================================

Don’t your existing clients have neighbors that are sick and tired of their lazy landscaper, who won’t come on time, or on the right day, won’t call, and/or pay attention to details? That’s like low-hanging fruit.

That’s how I found my landscapers. I’ve been through several of them until they each sold their businesses. My neighbor, with more time to sift through new ones, would find ones that we both liked, and we signed them up.

Why aren’t you offering to landscape the yards of people who obviously need it done? You quote the ‘introductory’ mow and blow price; charge extra for everything else; and after three months of baby-sitting them, you charge the regular price, and they’re hooked on you. The best landscaper I ever had, was always up-selling me. “Time to prune the palms. Time to trim the roses. Want me to rebury Aunt Bessie? Her fingers are showing again.”

===========================================

I started a successful window washing business while I was in college, and got so much work, I hired two of my roommates. I advertised in the throw away papers, “Students Wash Windows.” I was so reasonable, I was getting practically every contract I bid on, including monthly contracts. Competitors called me for faux bids, and one operator’s wife became belligerent telling me that “nobody can do windows that cheap.” One prospect asked me if I was insured. I said, “Not at this price.” I never lost a customer over that. The work was rewarding, and I learned how to put the art of the up-sell to work.

That is, get in cheap, and then up-sell extra services like crazy. I up-sold razor cleaning, window track cleaning, storm window removal, paint over-spray removal, frame cleaning, screen washing, screen frame cleaning, rubber beading cleaning, un-sticking sliders, lubricating rollers, and removing spider webs, dead flies, and leaves. Of course, I would do the works on one window for free, and now the other windows looked worse than ever by comparison.

So, when I pitched the full range of up-sells on the rest of the owner’s windows from hell, they became a no-brainer. I itemized everything I did on the first window, and offered a discount on the remaining windows. The itemized cost was about $45 a window, but 'since I was there already, I asked if they wanted it all done for just $25 a window? Sure!!!"

Never mind, in actuality, I was already doing pretty much everything, short of a razor cleaning, by default, but the owners loved the extra TLC and wanted to pay for it.

If you think a little, you can find all sorts of things to up-sell to your existing clients. Planting flowers. Install edging. Replacing sprinkler lines/heads/valves. Trimming hedges. Planting trees. Removing trees. Nothing gets done for free.

Great discussion guys, loved reading how you guys go back and forth hahaha

Because some traits of an entrepreneur are unemployable. Discipline & control may be the top reason. Entrepreneurs normally have their own methodologies to solve problems and they are more result-oriented. It is possible that only small or new business companies are likely to hire entrepreneurs.