How do I collect my back rent and rent for whole lease?

Let’s say that a tenant is evicted or vacates and has to pay back rent, but I also want to sue him for all the rent he would have paid for the remainder of the lease.

I go to court and a judgement is placed against him for all the money. That’s great… but you can’t squeeze gold out of a rock…

Is there a type of company that would purchase this debt so I can at least collect some of it, even if not from the tenant?

I ran out on a lease when I was 20 years old and it damaged my credit and I can still see it on my credit report. When I contacted the credit bureaus, they told me about a collection agency to pay to, so I got the impression that the corporate apartment complex was paid their money.

What type of company should I contact to try to collect some of this “forward rent,” that was never collected?

Hi,

You have to file an eviction action and get a judgment, then move to garnish wages or seize assets for payment.

Be careful of seizure laws as just going after assets willy nillly can cost you! Certain assets have protections in various states.

GR

Yes, that is what I found out from the courthouse attorney.

Careful tenant screening could avoid the whole mess.

In kansas you have an obligation to mitigate your losses. You need to rerent your property and pursue what it cost you to find another tenant.