Do you post notices if they are late on rent one day?

After taking over my first property, I noticed that tenants would get behind $20 here, $30 there… but I would see them buying beer every day, so I decided to post notices on there door and they would “magically” come up with the rent…

I have started posting notices the day rent is due even if it’s $1 late… people have been coming up with it, but it’s also costing me money to evict people who don’t want to live this way with the threat of eviction if they are $1 short…

What do you do in these situations? It is an RV park…

Post late notices the day after the rent is due - so if rent is due on the 3rd - post the notice(s) on the 4th. Deadbeats need to shown no slack, and an eviction notice (you don’t have to evict them just cause you give them a notice … they can pay all late fees & back due rent) usually get them moving.

Check with your local laws as well. Some states have a mandatory 5 day grace period before you can file for eviction. Of course, that does not mean that you cannot post the late notice the day after the rent is due.

Another option is to change your contract. If the market lot rent is say $200. You could rent yours for $220 but if they pay on or before the 1st, the rent is $200. You are still getting your market rent but if they are late, they pay the full rent and the late fee. It makes the tenant feel like they are getting a discount and can “save” money by paying on time.

I can post the notice the day that it’s late and go to court after 3 business days of non-pay.

I have changed my lease to include a late fee.

How do you evict someone who is in a trailer? Can’t you have them towed for trespassing?

Consider that the problem might be the type of rental you have. Deadbeats act this way, and nobody wants to be constantly hassled about money. The question is whether you can rent to somebody besides deadbeats.

Regardless, I would have some very frank conversations on this. You might consider a policy of phasing this in so people know what to expect.

This is a great idea. A friend of mine owns a dance studio and did this with her customers. They all loved being able to get a discount, and they never asked for late fees to be waived.

I rent for above market rents and decided not to do a late fee.