3. Strategic Location of Belize
  4. English Spoken in Belize
  5. Strong Belize Tourism Trends
  6. Attractive Belize Taxation Incentives
  7. Belize Real Estate Laws
  8. Belize Real Estate Opportunities
  9. Political and Economic Stability of Belize
    10)Belizean Lifestyle

I have never been to Belize, but I have some friends that love it! I talked to a sales agent for buybelize.com and was impressed by his presentation. I have been hesitant because of the cost of the lots in that development. There are many houses available for less than lot prices. I have also been looking at listings online and have found prices to be very reasonable. Someday soon I would like to go and check some of the great values.

randyscott

The problem I see with the list is that properties cash flow is not there so it must be lower than 11 or lower which means it probably doesn’t cash flow so there is little reason to invest there.

I haven’t been to Belize but looking at your 10 reasons it looks a good place to visit and invest. I might consider vacationing on it next year and get a chance to see properties there.

Since Belize has a strong tourism, it is very recommended to invest in hostels and vacation homes.

33.5 per 100,000
Belize: 33.5 per 100,000*
The murder rate in Belize dropped slightly in 2019, but still remains one of the region’s most deadly countries. The 134 homicides seen last year, down from 143 in 2018, yielded a murder rate of 33.5 per 100,000 citizens, according to local media reports.Jan 28, 2020

Due to the small population and high per capita murder rate, Belize consistently ranks among the top 10 countries in the world for homicides, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. Belize averages approximately 40 homicides per 100,000 residents. The official murder total in 2018 countrywide was 143, with an additional seven cases potentially classifiable as murders pending the conclusion of investigations. The highest murder total on record in Belize is 145, which occurred in 2012. In previous years, the increase was likely due to the displacement of crime from the central hub of criminal gang activity in south Belize City. The murder total in the Belize District increased by 12 in 2018.

The Belize District, which includes Belize City, continues to have the highest number of murders due in large part to dozens of street gangs that operate in the city. Belmopan, a tiny capital with a population of approximately 16,000 residents and home to several diplomatic missions, including the U.S. Embassy, recorded 16 murders in 2018, five more than 2017. Murders in Belize mostly involve guns (66%), knives (17%), and machetes (8%). Firearm offenses come with strict penalties and can result in lengthy jail sentences.

Fraud related to credit/debit cards occurs in areas frequented by tourists, particularly Belize City and San Pedro. Skimming is most likely to occur in restaurants, bars, and hotels, when the victim’s card is out of view. For more information, review OSAC’s Report, The Overseas Traveler’s Guide to ATM Skimmers & Fraud.

There have been numerous reports of fraud committed against expatriates and Belizeans attempting to purchase land. Corrupt officials are reportedly involved in fraudulent land title transfers. Consult with a reputable Belizean attorney when purchasing property. Many expatriates have reported being the victim of scams in which land is purchased that was not available, was legally owned by other parties, or was subsequently resold without their knowledge. Due to media coverage implicating high-level complicity in land fraud, the government has renewed efforts to address property disputes by converting physical records to electronic records.

Several high-profile investigations have linked Belizean officials in the alleged sale of illegal Belizean identity documents including passports.

Other Areas of Concern

Minimize travel to the south side of Belize City to official business only, and avoid personal trips due to gang activity. The Belizean government has designated certain areas as crime-ridden, enabling law enforcement and security authorities to conduct random searches without a warrant.

Several tourist areas along the western border with Guatemala have active military patrols due to security incidents. Some excursions to view ruins on the western border with Guatemala require a military patrol.

Transportation-Safety Situation

For more information, review OSAC’s Report, Security in Transit: Airplanes, Public Transport, and Overnights.

Road Safety and Road Conditions

Road conditions are improving, but are still poor; they range from short stretches of newly paved roads in Belize City to decades-old pavement on major highways. Roads in rural areas/villages are typically dirt or loose gravel; road conditions worsen during the rainy season. The primary highways – Philip SW Goldson Highway (northern), George Price Highway (western), Hummingbird, and Southern highways – are generally in better condition (paved) than most roads. The combination of inconsistent paving, bridges with low guard rails, and slick roadways due to rain have been contributing factors in several fatal accidents. Traffic fatalities remain a very real danger.

The major highways are the only reliable avenues to transit the country, aside from airplanes operated by two Belizean commercial carriers. Pedestrians, bicyclists, cars, and buses use the same roads. Stray dogs and wildlife also wander freely in close proximity to the many small villages that line the major highways.

Driving can be extremely hazardous after dusk and during rainstorms.

I remember the Real Estate Guys Podcast always referencing Belize as a good place to invest. Has anyone had actual experience with that? Sounds sexy at first but I imagine comes with challenges…