Ed Beckley the first RE Guru

Ed Beckley, does anyone remember the original RE Guru from back in the early 80’s I actually got a duplex for 23K using his info. It needed total rehab, it was in a horrible drug infested area, had a flat roof that was a serious design flaw, anyway thats not Ed fault, my partner and I asked for the worst piece of crap the realtor cud find. Got it from the bank with no money down, had no windows or doors or sheetrock, took 3 months to rehab it using credit cards. What a nighmare. Now I see him on the internet looking old and chewed and selling his 3 new books. I heard he went thru bankruptcy. Anybody else have any info? I wish I hadnt given up after that bad experience. Having lost my job cuz of this recession Im ready to jump in again, but a lot more careful this time.

Egads! There’s got to be easier ways than that. :shocked

Hi,

I have one of Ed Beckley's real estate packages from the 1980's. I believe he was a keynote speaker at the 1981 or 82 Real Estate Convention in Anaheim California. Three days of seminars, workshops and discussion groups, the early days of networking! 

Russ Whitney was just starting out about this time and of course Al Lowry was there as was Dave Del Dotto, Jack and Irene Milan, John Beck, Wade Cook, Marc Garrison, Bill Greene, William McCorkle, Larry Pino, Carlton Sheets and Wright Thurston!

This was quite the exciting experience as I was a young real estate investor just starting out and spending three days at this convention was a real eye opener to what would be required to be successful and how much time and effort it would take!

GR

We all made some mistakes. Glad to hear that you are back in the game!

Val

Actually, Ed Beckley wasn’t "the original Guru. He didn’t write his first book until 1981 – Carleton Shets beat him by 3 years with his book “No Down Payment Formulas,” published in 1978

Actually I owe him a big thanks. I could not afford his course at the time however from watching the commercials I figured it out. Bought my first property with no money down, second no money down and cash back. Bought that second property in 1986. Today it rents for 150% a year of the purchase price. Eventually from what I learned, I became a multi-millionaire. Eventually I did buy his course however I never opened it. The problems I encountered were with the city, county and state. Also, I encountered great difficulty with personal relationships as a result. Should Mr. Beckley read this; thanks so much and a course I could use is how do I deal with the people I knew before and since I created this empire. Thanks so much !

The last thing I heard was bankruptcy. Nothing more.