How do you clean window AC units?

We have a bunch of window AC units and I thought they were a great and budget cooling solution. We always clean the filters and teach tenants how to do it upon their check-in.

But now I notice that some of them are getting ugly-looking mold in behind the filters. We scrub that off with bleach and a rag, but what is the ideal way to maintain those units? What do you all do?

Furnishedowner

Mold would indicate that condensate is not draining properly. Is water sitting in the frame anywhere?

Many of the AC units have condensate in them even though they are supposedly correctly installed. I just heard from a former hotel employee that the Holiday Inn removes their units yearly and steam-cleans them.

Any hotel owners here on this site? I need to figure out this routine maintenance problem before it becomes a problem.

Furnishedowner

I don’t have a lot of experience with these but there should be a drain hole in the pan to allow it to drain out. I would guess that it’s plugged up. There could also be crap sitting on the A coil keeping the water on it so it never dries out. A steam cleaning would help this.