Woman and 30,000 Lbs of Belongings are Evicted

I thought some of you would enjoy this one:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/22/AR2010092205575.html

Tg

She was a hoarder! Can you evict for hoarding? Probably, since it creates an unsafe and unsanitary environment. That landlord let it go too long, but then finally dealt with it.

Thanks for sharing.

Furnishedowner

It didn’t sound like the problem was hoarding - it was likely that she was over $10,000.00 behind in rent. It sounded like a mess all the way around - no green card and here illegally to boot! I would guess being illegal was more of the problem than anything.

It’s a shame the landlord got all the bad publicity over this - that’s a very large amount of money to lose. He was a saint in my book for not doing this 8 months ago.

The dates on late rent are there for a reason. You send a 3 day letter on day 5 and file for eviction on that fourth day if they have not paid every month they don’t pay. If you have already filed once the tenant pays you, they also have to pay your eviction filing fee. If you don’t miss the dates 3 day, 8 day, filing date, court date, the most the tenant can be into you for is 1 month. The courts don’t do evictions everyday. They do them a couple days a month. So if you miss the dates then they schedule your case for the next month. That puts the tenant into you for another month. DON’T miss the dates.

I have had tenants that get filed on every month. I had one lady that with late fees averaged paying me over $1,600 every month on $1300 rent. She paid every month but late. She told me I was wasting money by filing for eviction every month. I told her it was systematized and could not be helped.

So now the storage company has her junk. The first month free and never another penny. He’ll have to evict her, too.

I think I see Jimmy Hoffa’s dead body in one of those pictures.

Ahhhh the Jimmy Hoffa dead body jokes just never seem to lose their comic thunder.

Doesn’t hoarding violate fire codes in some states?..And wouldnt that be a fair reason to evict?