Tenant/applicant wants to install ADT security system

I had two different groups today come to see the house. They both seemed very interested. Both wanted to install one of these ADT systems.

I’ve never used one of those so I know almost nothing about them.

Is there anything I should be wary of? Do you ask the tenants for the code to get in in case of emergency? Does installing the system create some kind of damage to the walls/house? Thanks.

I have had 2 tenants install security systems and one of my houses came with a system. I have not had any problems with it. They installed it really professionally kind of like cable.

What you worry about is the tenant trying to take the system when he leaves leaving a hole in the wall. Your lease has a phrase that says that if the tenant installs any fixtures such as additional smoke detectors, locks, alarm systems, cables, satellite dishes, or other fixtures, such fixtures will become the property of the landlord except otherwise permitted by law or called out in this lease.

That means that when they get it installed it is yours. Always supervise the installation to make sure it is done professionally.

We have an operable system in our own house. A couple of our rentals have the systems, but I’m not sure how much work it would be to get them running again. They look older.
They’ll install magnetic sensors in your door frames. It’s just a little circle about the size of a dime that will fit flush with the rest of the door frame. The window sensors are small too. They’re about the size of a little girl’s hair clip.
Like Bluemoon said, just make sure they know the system will stay w/ the house. I think most of those places advertise installation for about $99 anyway so it’s not a huge investment up front.
I think you’ve got a great idea of making them give you the code #. You should always be able to have access to your property for emergencies.
If the alarm is set and you have to go in there, you open the door and will hear the keypad start beeping. You need to get to the keypad and enter the code # and then the number 1 key for “off.”

Thanks for all the replies!

I was just thinking about it. If I open the door normally with a key, the alarm won’t go off, obviously.

So the only situation where I would need to use the code is if the tenant changed the locks without telling me, and then went through an eviction process, correct?

There’s an old system in my own house that the former owner had installed. I don’t use it, so it’s just sitting there on the wall. It went off a couple of times when I was doing something in the breaker box. I called the company and they told me to just remove the two large batteries from the main panel. It never went off again.

No anytime the alarm is set and the door opens, with or without a key the alarm goes off. You would need the code. You are not worried so much about the police as to be able to shut that awful noise off.

Well they were supposedly in love with the house and begged me to hold it for them 1 day so that they could bring their apps & app fees tonight. :bs

Never showed up or called!!! I waited almost an hour at the vacant house for them.

Justin is right, until you have the money in hand, never trust them. Although I try not to take this kind of rudeness and stupidity personally.

At least I know more about alarm systems now for the next one who asks about it. Thanks.

That sucks. Just like trying to deal with some people on Craigslist…
This is why it can be a really good idea to set up a little open house and funnel multiple people to the house at the same time. There’s the sense of urgency that if I don’t take it, someone else will. All you need to worry about is the first person to hand you a completed application and fee.

Thanks. I’m going to try to schedule some of them at the same time from now on. I think I’ve been too flexible with them.