How long for First Time HomeBuyer check to arrive from IRS?

Anyone seen an actual form 5405 IRS 10% new homebuyer check come in the mail yet? I’m structuring deals right now with balloons built in to capture some of that money as a mini-balloon payment, but I don’t know what time frame I should factor in. As I understand it, to get it soon you have to amend your 2008 return.

I have heard that you have to file your 2008 taxes again.
Though I don’t know how exactly that is done. Im also interested in how this would be done

The timing depends upon how the taxpayer submits an amended return. If mailed, look for the refund in about six to eight weeks. If the amended return is filed electronically, the refund could come as quickly as two weeks.

DaveT, that sounds about right, that’s what I’d expect. But knowing Washington, budgets, etc. has anyone actually seen a check arrive yet, and if, can you report on how long it took? Thanks.

DEAR TAXPAYERS… We are sorry to info you but since we created TARP and then decided to give GM billions of dollars so they can wait 5 extra months before filing bankruptcy we can no longer honor that program. Plus with all the job layoffs and companies closing, we feel the house will foreclose in 12 months and have to give the bank $75,000 to make up for the loss on the $8000 we gave you.

Sincerely yours,

Uncle Sam the DEM

“”“I have heard that you have to file your 2008 taxes again.
Though I don’t know how exactly that is done. Im also interested in how this would be done “””

They file an amended tax return form 1040X and include form 5405.

I had a customer refile using H & R Block and he got his money in three weeks.