Ford sold MORE cars than TOYOTA in April!!!

I just read this and… I… couldn’t believe it!!! But it IS true!!

Looks like the new Fusion is really selling well. It’s just the start. Over the next 3 years 80% of Fords existing product line will be updated. These new cars are like NOTHING Ford has sold in the past. The early reviews are off the charts!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/01/ford-sells-more-cars-in-april-than-toyota/

Man…If your not on this wagon now…Your missing a HUGE opportunity!

Here’s a quick look at the ALL NEW 2010 Ford Taurus. Remember folks…This car just needs to sell MORE than the CURRENT Taurus to increase Fords numbers. From the looks of this rig…That WILL NOT be a problem!!! When the link opens just click on the strip of pictures at the top to see the car.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/first-ride-2010-ford-taurus-sho/15289991/

Long term reliability is still what scares me, Toyotas have it and Fords don’t. Just look at the resale depreciation of Ford vs Toyota. For the most part, I could care less what kind of new car reviews a particular model gets. Everything should perform great fresh of the factory line! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut… My concern is where will the vehicle be in 3yrs, 5yrs, 50,000miles, 100,000 miles, etc. How many times has it been in the shop during those periods, etc. Again, all these new Ford models look great in the showroom, but where will they be in 5yrs; still running strong? or sitting a mechanics shop or junkyard somewhere? time will tell…

Jake…That’s a GREAT POINT…and it’s a situation Ford put themselves into…Toyota spent their money on basically 3 car models…The Camry, The Corolla, and the Avalon…Money went into perfecting those cars for decades.

At the same time Ford built The new Thunderbird (a loser sales wise) The Cougar (another dud) The Windstar (a rebadged Nissan) and countless other cars that NO LONGER EXIST in Fords line up, like Jaguar (a DISASTER financially) Aston Martin (???) Land Rover (even BIGGER disaster) All that MONEY that could have been spent IMPROVING existing vehicles. Instead it went out the window.

Mullaly has sold off all of the above and Volvo is next. You can SEE what this guy is doing. He built Boeings entire manufacturing system on the Toyota Model while he was President there.

I agree Toyota reliability is just incredible. It’s going to take Ford a long time to win back customers who left.
But they are getting there. Their long term reliability (3 to 4 years out) has improved by leaps and bounds…BUT…As you point out…They need to convince BUYERS of this. It’s not an easy thing to do once you lose a customer.

But you hit on a great point. As the old saying goes…

It’s always easier to KEEP a customer you ALREADY have, than to win him back after losing him.

The car business is interesting…To a lot of people buying as new car is done with their HEART as much as their HEAD. STYLING sells a LOT of cars. Fords got a shot here with these new cars. If they can get the people in to TRY them, and they really do drive as good as they look. They can make progress. It also doesn’t hurt that GM and Chrysler ARE going into bankruptcy. That alone IS sending more of their customers into Ford dealerships. But…they MUST be satisfied LONG TERM with those cars!!

Amen to everything you just said.

Personally, for the foreseeable future, I don’t see myself buying a Ford, but on the other side of the coin, I guess I’m kinda personally pulling for them as a company, as it would be nice to see an American car company FINALLY compete with the overseas competition. That, and as you said, the dismal performance of the other two big guys is pushing customers directly their way.

Hopefully Ford recognizes this opportunity and takes full advantage of it. Let’s win one for the gipper!

Now I gotta run to the store in my Acura, and then I have to get the oil changed on my Mitsubishi. ;D

And that’s about ALL you’ll ever have to do to those two brands. Both will run forever!

I think it’s also important to remember that this is less about Ford beating Toyota, Honda etc… It’s about Ford improving enough to increase sales that prompt Wall St to pile in!

A little off topic…

Im 18, and going to be looking for a new car in ohh… about 2 years when i get outta school. I like cars, im not a truck kinda guy. I would prefer a somewhat bigger car, not big, but deff. not small.

Ill probably be looking for a car somewhere around 10K, but will go up a little if needed. Im lookin for a good, dependable car with good gas mileage.

Any idea what car I should be lookin at, or what cars will be coming out soon that might fit what im lookin for?

Hoosier,

I had an idea that might be interesting…

Why don’t you take a day next weekend (or when ever you can)
and go out and TEST DRIVE a new FUSION, a new ACCORD, and a new CAMRY!!

You have NO AXE to grind, your a young guy (the exact demographic ALL car makers want to reach) you can drive them all and give us your impressions.

I think this could be VERY INTERESTING…Your unbiased, your looking for a car (in the future)… And honestly…From reading your posts here you’re more mature and intelligent than any 18 year old I know!!

I would honestly appreciate your opinions…Good or bad, either way. Don’t hold anything back.

What do you say??? It could be a great way for you to track this investment we’ve been talking about for so long. Get some “seat time” then those sales numbers I post will actually mean something.
I’m just curious to see what an 18 year old, potential future customer, thinks of these cars compared HEAD TO HEAD!!

One piece of advice…If you decide to do this…When you go into the dealerships just tell the saleman that your getting a car for graduation. Your just LOOKING at this point. You’re going to be test driving the Fusion, the Accord and the Camry, but your NOT buying anything today. This will get you into the cars, but keep the saleman off your back. It also lets them know their not getting a sale from you TODAY…These guys will actually appreciate this. They don’t get their hopes up for a sale and it lets them relax and just show you the car!!

Also…Do yourself a favor…they’ll probably ask you to fill out a card…Name, address, PHONE NUMBER…DO NOT give them your REAL phone number unless you want a call every other day.

Just some advice from someone who knows the game!!

Sounds good jake. Ill see if they will let me test drive some stuff. Even though I dont have any money… I wont tell them that. (Vehicles arent my thing, never been really interested in the motor stuff, if you cant tell) lol.

Ill tell you how things go.

Hey… I added a few tips for you to my post after you responded be sure and read them.

Thanks!

Yeah pretty good idea about getting a car for graduation. Thanks. Didnt think about that. 17 more school days and im outta HS baby :slight_smile:

Ill do it this weekend and tell you how it goes. :slight_smile:

BTW… I googled those cars and I really like the look of the Focus…

Hoosier, I suggest you buy Fred Blagg’s book. I think it’s called “The new Car buying Bible” (or something like that. He has a lot of good tips. His website is also good. When you decide which car you want, you can order an information packet for about $30. It gives you the invoice price, dealer holdback, incentives etc… I used an idea called the “fax attack”. Basically, when you decide on the price you’ll pay based on the info packet, you fax a letter to about 10 or 15 different dealers. In the letter to tell them exactly what you’re looking for you’ll be ready to buy at the end of the month. Also tell them you’ll buy where you can get the best price. I bought my 2005 Accord LX for $18,750. That was $300 over invoice. That was over $3000 less than my local dealership offered. I only had to drive 50 miles to get it.
If you’re looking for a used car, I think you can do well with a Camry or Accord. My 2005 Accord is worth about 10K. It’s a mid sized care with decent room. The 4 cyl. has plenty of power. I drive 60 miles on the highway to work. It’s got 80k miles on it and it still runs like new. I owned a Camry before this one. Both are extremely reliable. Hope this helps.

One of our rides is a 2003 Accord EX coupe w/ 6 spd tranny. We bought it new. It’s got about 62k on it. We’ve put a set of tires on it and change the oil. It’s fairly quick, really fun to drive, gets about 30 hwy/24 city, and doesn’t give us problems.

Sold short 200 F at $6.25.

Japan and Asia markets are FLYING in overnight trading as 3 big Japanese banks annouced BETTER than expected results…Nikkei up OVER 400 points or 4.2%.

Fords up to $6.35 in after hours trading.

You’ll probably see a pull back if Ford at some point…

Hell it’s up 600% from the November low!!

Jobless claims drop by 30,000!!

Ford UP in premarket to $6.41

The talking heads are almost at the point of Euphoria! If that’s not a bad sign, I don’t know what is.

Mike

I would NOT want to be parked in front of this train.

There are PILES and PILES of MANAGED MONEY that MUST be in this market.

INTEREST RATES are CLIMBING today Mike…That means BIG BIG money is coming out of treasuries and being put into stocks. 5 months ago you gave the goverment a loan (by buying treasuries) you got back 98CENTS on the DOLLAR!!! Did ANYONE think that was REALITY??? Once that BUBBLE burst those dollars were going just ONE PLACE…

STOCKS…That is EXACTLY what your seeing. Interest rates on Treasuries are RISING as demand for those assets drops because that capital is being plowed into stocks.

Jobless claims are down for the 4th straight report.

I just WATCH what’s going on. My opinion does NOT matter. The MARKET will do what it wants to do…But…WHY shovel sh*t against the tide??

Having said that…I DO think we’ll see a correction before this is over.

Just put in an order to short BAC at $14.94. This market is top heavy. They’re so excited on CNBC that you would think we’ve just hit an all time high during a major boom!

Mike

Bought to cover my 200 F shorts (sold short at $6.25 on 5-6-09 and posted in real time) at $4.78. That’s another REALIZED $1.47 per share (in 7 days) that I’ve made for a total REALIZED profit on Ford of $3.37 per share with less than 2 months of total exposure. I expect Ford to continue lower, but I’m only interested in getting the easy money.

Mike