Who to call to refinish hardwoods and costs?

Where do I find someone to refinish hardwoods and how much does it cost? My first rehab of them.

Also where to go to find best deal on paint and get a discount?

How much is fair price to pay for painting rooms? Thanks

Hardwood floors are usualy done by hardwood floring Guys
the same people that install them also usualy restore them> look in your local phone book
take mesurements and give them the SQF or the rooms they should be able to put you in the ball park over the phone

or go to your local rental place and rent a floor sander> I recomend a flat sander for someone that doesn’t have experiance as a drum sander will ruin your floors if your not up to speed on how to use it

flat pad sanders are much more forgiving

Cheep paint is just that Cheep paint
ONE of the best I have found on the market as per price per wear years is Gliden and trust me owning a painting busness I have used them all

I tend to like to use oil base on all trim and doors> But its harder to work with and most don’t like to use it
However I always look for long term when doing a re fresh to a rental
so Oil on trim lasts 10 times longer than Latex

Gliden also makes a very reasonable Oil base
For rental walls I tend to like washable flat Up to satin
Never would I use semi gloss latex on walls as it will show every imperfection there is.
The less sheen the more you can (hide) when it comes to old wall repairs.
I usualy Buy my paint by the 5 gal size it saves some money and if you do it right you can paint most of a unit with one or two buckets

as for costs to paint and sand floors> every area has differant costs
what it costs to paint a unit in CT is Much more than In Ohio< LOL

Thats my two cents

Thanks!!!

It depends on the type of paint you’re using. If you’re going to be happy with Home Depot or Lowes paint, I suggest buying 10% off coupons on eBay or get your local realtor to send you a lowes 10% off coupon through lowesrealtorbenefit.com. Don’t buy the 20% ones though, those are fake. Home Depot will take a Lowes coupon as a competitor coupon. Behr and Valspar are somewhat highly rated for the price, but painting contractors hate them. That might be because they hate DIY in general and don’t want to support stores like that. You also get better service at a painting store.

Other places like Sherwin Williams will let you open up a painting contractor account. You can also ask them when they’re having a sale. You just need to fill out the form and they’ll give you the discount. With Benjamin Moore, they’re independent dealers and some will just give everyone the painting contractor discount and some won’t so you’ll have to call around.

Thanks a bunch as I did go online to ebay and bought some 10% coupons. :beer

You’re welcome. I hadn’t bought any in a while as I didn’t have any upcoming projects. But I guess the economy must be really bad, picked up 5 10% off coupons for about $3. I think the last time I did this they were over $1 each. Lowes seems to have flooded the market with these, saw them on some magazines also but just don’t have enough now. Last year it was Home Depot that was doing this. These are good til June 2009. Last year they were a bit rarer after that date as there was no new batch that came out, just the regular single ones which are more difficult to get. You can also sign up for just one of them through lowesmoving.com or Home Depot also have a moving site, but of course you only get one and it takes a while to show up.

Thanks for cool tip

Just to put the record right> contractors not liking Behr and other brands really has nothing to do with do it yourself’ers

the paint some companies mix to sell at lowes and home depot are not the same mix the sell to paint stores

But the reason most don’t like paint like behr is because it is loaded with Filler ( chalk) to make the paint cover well for home owners who don’t do prep right half the time

the high chalk content makes the paint more difficult to roll out the way a paint contractor like it to spread
it also doesn’t take as well to spray applications.

Of course we are talking about people who get paid to Not leave roller marks all over your walls Right?
give you a profesional paint surface?

think of it like your meatloaf> if I put a bunch of bread filler in your meatloaf your not going to like it as much as real meat through and through are you??

(smile)

Oh, I just figured out where all those Lowes coupons were coming from. You can actually get them at the post office, they’re free. They’re part of a mover’s guide/official change of address kit. In the past I think you had to mail in a form in order to get one, but now there’s one right in the packet and you can take as many as you like or as many as are there. I guess that’s where all those ebay people got them from.

COOL!