Window units

I have some rentals that have window units in them.

It seems they go out more than they work. What do you all do?

Do you furnish the window units?

What brand of unit do you buy? 110 or 220V?

It’s not cost effective at this point to put CH&A in these properties.

Advice?

I personally don’t like the head ache or the pain they put on my wallet. I removed them early on and refuse to put any more in. I’ve found that if the tenants really want one, they’ll supply their own. I did make sure I included a clause about damages to the property caused by any units they install.

GooD LucK! :beer

Yes, I put in window units. And they do seem to fail a lot. Most of them have a 1-year guarantee. Hang on to the paperwork so you can return them to the store if they fail. They are not expensive.

Best of all is central air, but expensive.

Here we also use evaporative coolers (swamp coolers). They blow cool moist air into a room. This only works where there is low humidity and thick insulating walls or adobe. Some people with allergies must have AC so we are putting in more and more of those window units.

I don’t have favorite brands or models, just go for the low price.

I stock up on them in the winter for free. A local apartment complex near me makes the tenants supply them, and when they move out (in the winter) they seem to leave them by the dumpster a lot. So far they have all worked.

Just an idea. One was REAL NICE with a remote. You can find them on craigslist for 50 bucks a pop, at least around here.

John

I do not supply the window AC units. The tenants supply their own. In fact, there are many government programs here in Ohio that give NEW window ac units to low income tenants, and my higher income tenants don’t need the help. I have stopped putting in central air, because thieves love to steal the outside units.

Mike

I do not supply the window AC units. The tenants supply their own. In fact, there are many government programs here in Ohio that give NEW window ac units to low income tenants, and my higher income tenants don't need the help. I have stopped putting in central air, because thieves love to steal the outside units.

Mike

yeah, it seems to be the hot item the last year or two. On our rehabs we put in the ducts and everything except the outside unit. Then when it sells, we call our A/C guy and have him finish the job.

On our rehabs we put in the ducts and everything except the outside unit. Then when it sells, we call our A/C guy and have him finish the job

VERY SMART! :bobble

I don’t know why we didn’t start doing that in the first place, I bet we had a half dozen units stolen before we realized that A/C really wasn’t needed until they moved in anyways. Sales haven’t dropped either, so if you’re unsure about the area, I HIGHLY suggest doing what we do.

Interesting idea but Im not sure no AC will fly during an open house in the middle of August. I might try that in the cooler months however.

If you are having trouble with people stealing your fixed ACU’s, i found a possible solution here:
http://www.claremore.net/~yates/products/

Not sure how much they cost though. You can anchor these to the PAD the unit’s sit on or pour your concrete around the base of them. :beer

We use something similar. Although it works well to keep the unit there, it seems to SCREAM bad neighborhood which doesn’t help with sales.