Rehabbing a Duplex

I have experience rehabbing single family homes but I’m rehabbing a duplex this time and have a question. Is it more cost effective to install just 1 large water heater, big enough for both units and having the Landlord/Investor paying the water bill, or set up 2 separate water heaters and have the tenets pay there own water bills? Your thoughts on pro’s and con’s are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I am by no means an expert but I would think that separating them as much as possible would be the way to go.

Always make the tenants pay the utilities if possible. Also, if the two units share water heater you will affect both tenants if maintenance is needed.

Just my two cents

SEPERATE utilities is the way to go!!!

Mike

Quite a few smaller multi-unit buildings have 1 water meter with the LL paying the water. It can be fairly expensive to split them. If you’re doing a fairly thorough rehab where you may be putting in new sheetrock, I would seriously consider splitting them while you have good access to the pipes. The outlay now will save you lots in the future and also should make it more attractive to future buyers.