I am thinking about opening a Movie theatre

Myself and a friend are seriously thinking of opening a movie theatre in our area. Does anyone have experience in this? What are some things we need to look for? Oh we have buildings that are available!

I was watching a show recently that showed a young couple that opened a movie theater…They served food and drinks and were doing quite well after 2 years,now they are opening another one…I can’t remember what show,sorry…I do remember they had a very unique appraoch and very decent food …

I didn’t know much about movie theaters but I do know the profit is in the food and drinks not in movie tickets

A big chunk of the profit off the tickets go to the movie studios. Food and Drink are all profit for the theaters. Its hard to compete it the big chains like dickison, pheonix, and amc.
Just like every business make sure you have customers in the area and its not flooded with movie theaters.

Here’s a different concept in movies you might want to explore.

www.chunkys.com

We have a place like Chunkys here in Dallas calld Studio Movie Grill. It does a great business on the week-ends. They rent it out during the week for business presentations. The company I used to work for would rent it out for “lunch and learn” presentations once a month.

There’s a Movie Tavern in Arlington that is doing great. There are about 6 or 7 screens. So you have a choice of several different movies to see. But the selling point here is that you can have a full meal while you watch the movie. You can also have wine, beer, hard liquor, or soft drinks. The eating space is about 1 1/2 feet wide so there is plenty space for your food and drinks. Every time we go the place is packed. (I did notice that not many people were eating popcorn).
Good luck

I’ve heard that you have to send 80% of the ticket sales to Hollywood. You have to make your money off of the snack bar.

Have you considered the drive-in option. It would save you the cost of a large building, seating and ADA regs.

http://www.texas-ec.org/texascooppower/current_month/system/texas_usa.aspx