Help! With Wholesale/Assigment Deal

Hello All,
Please help. I am new to real estate investing but I do understand the basics of getting a piece of property under contract and ASSIGNING it to another investor for a small assignment fee. However I am lost when it comes to how this works when the property has an existing mortage on it. For example:

I found a vacant “run down” property in a very desirable section of town in Los Angeles. The comps there for properties that are at least a 95% match to my property are averaging $900,000-1 Million. My subject property has a current loan balance of $677,000 on it and the original loan amount was for $645,000. Obviosuly the owner cannot pay the mortgage and is several months behind. So how does this deal work?

When I make an offer should the offer be discounted from numbers based on the ARV/Comps? Meaning if I want the deal at a 30% discount is it 30% off the ARV/Comps? or is it 30% off what is owed on the loan. Is the below (using ARV/Comp numbers) correct? And should those be the numbers I need to be using?

Here are the numbers:

Seller: Very Motivated & Distressed

Subject Property: ARV $900,000 (Based on reliable comps.)

Current Loan Balance on Property: $677,000

Offer to Motivated Seller: $630,000 (30% off $900,000)

Cost of Repairs To Property: $80,000

Total Cost to Repair & Acquire Property: $710,000

*Selling Price Of Property: $800,000

Profit: $90,000

Last question: This is a deal I would ASSIGN to another investor. Any advice as to what I should charge for this deal? What is my assignment fee bassed on? I was thinking 1-2% of the ARV. Is this fair?

*Property is sold at $100,000 less than comps in order to make a very very fast but reasonable profit. Seller takes the $630,000 made from the sale and negotiates a deal with his lender.

Sincere, Sincere Thanks!
Ron

This deal is probably long gone by now.

If the seller is extremely motivated the offer price would start at what they owe.

I would probably tack $20k on top of this and call it a day. If you don’t get greedy your buyer won’t try to cut you out along the way.

Problem you might face if the new buyer doesn’t have $20k to give you outside the mortgage.

Do the contract directly between the seller and buyer and have yourself paid as a consultant…or…simultaneously close the deal.

File an affidavit of interest on the deal because it will probably take a while.

Talk to the president of your local REIA concerning this as well.