We apologize, but the forums are closed for new posts. Click Here To Join The Unemployables Facebook Group

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2021, 06:59:19 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2021, 06:59:19 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Author Topic: Learning To Become a Property Manager  (Read 17797 times)

Offline *kingpin*

Re: Learning To Become a Property Manager
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 03:39:14 am »
aak5454 thank you for your sound advice, i picked a good day to return to this site, I see I have this advice from you as well because I was also considering working for a pm company and learning the ropes first hand, like you said this would be the best approach.  I have my pm certification as well so hopefully that will now help me search for a good place to gain experience.

jdproperties yes I do prefer PM, I do like to invest as well, but in between looking for properties and actually purchasing them I would like to keep myself busy,  the freedom of working in this field is what interests me, thank you also for your insight.

Offline sarah_9

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 12:04:36 am »
Hello,

Field of property and real estate is growing with fast speed, and the job opportunities are also emerging in this field with promising prospects. Property managers are high in demand.

Regards,
sarah_9

Offline Hollywood Landlord

• My Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 12:49:41 pm »
As much as some people (namely, property managers) might tell you otherwise, it is generally not very hard to become a property manager.

As propertymanager suggested in this thread, yes, you do need to check the requirements for your particular state - in some states you may even need a business license.

I started out the exact same way it sounds like you are.  I was tired of dealing with brainless, unresponsive idiots and simply asked the manager at my building back then, what exactly it took to become a manager.  She had just started working for her prop management company and gave me a copy of her resume highlighting what prop mgmt companies look for.  I then tailored my existing resume to highlight those same things even though I had no prior experience and I literally started faxing it in to places I saw advertising for new managers.  (you will find a lot of them on Craigslist nowadays).  It has been one of the smartest moves I have ever made.

And if you don't end up working for a prop mgmt company there are now numerous sites online where you can actually have your paperwork handled by their software - you don't have to learn an extensive prop mgmt software like I did (Yardi is a bear sometimes!).  .

I think you'd be surprised at how little experience you need to get started.  And that isn't to underestimate the amount of work it takes to be a good property manager... it IS hard work.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 02:53:22 pm by Mdhaas »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines