Used mobile homes and section 179 / accelerated depreciation

For you tax gurus out there, could I legally purchase say a 20 used mobile homes for $100k and use the section 179 accelerated depreciation to write them all off this tax year?

I know the CURRENT section 179 limits are above $100k - and I use that portion of the tax code to my benefit regularly - that’s no biggie. But the key part of my question is…do used mobile homes fall into the asset category that can be written off using the section 179 option???

• They would be used, older model mobile homes
  • There would be no real estate involved in the transaction whatsoever; the mobile homes would all be on rented lots
  • The purpose of owning them would be to rent them out; they would not be for resale
  • The mobile homes would not be affixed to permanent foundations [hince, again, they will not become true real estate]

Thanks for any feedback!

Well, I think I found the answer to my own question. Per the IRS’s definition of what is depreciable, their website says:

Generally, you cannot claim a section 179 deduction for property used predominantly to furnish lodging or in connection with the furnishing of lodging. However, this does not apply to the following types of property.

• Nonlodging commercial facilities that are available to those not using the lodging facilities on the same basis as they are available to those using the lodging facilities.
  • Property used by a hotel or motel in connection with the trade or business of furnishing lodging where the predominant portion of the accommodations is used by transients.
  • Any certified historic structure to the extent its basis is due to qualified rehabilitation expenditures.
  • Any energy property.

Also publication 534 appears to define mobile homes as “real property” and says they are depreciable over 10 years.

Oh well.

Are there any CPAs/gurus out there that think the information I gathered is incorrect?

Thanks!