We apologize, but the forums are closed for new posts. Click Here To Join The Unemployables Facebook Group

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2021, 08:56:20 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2021, 08:56:20 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Author Topic: Hardwood linoleum throughout the whole house  (Read 23170 times)

Offline hanatal

Re:Hardwood linoleum throughout the whole house
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 09:18:38 am »
yes, I guess your right. We personally have wood throughout and six kids and I havn't redone any of it for six years but upstarirs where the teenagers live, it does need to be refinished because of them moving furniture and yes they move furniture as much as tennents would lol
Wendy

Offline Frank Chin

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 06:17:07 am »
I carpet all my units with the exception of one.

All my rentals have hardwood floors underneath, and once, I rented them out fiinished, but after one or two tenancies, had to be refinished, due to tenants dragging furniture resulting in deep gouges. Since it takes more than a few days to refinish, takes longer to turn an apartment over compared to rolling up a carpet, and replacing it, in one short afternoon.

One unit though is tiled. This is a basement unit, and flooded in the past. I found this better than linoleum since messy tenants would even ruin linoleum. I grew up with linoleum floors my dad installed, and they're difficult to repair in a few years when they break, like small holes, and cracked areas. With tiles, you buy a few extra ones, and just replace a few here and there.

My dad tiles now instead of using linoleum.

In this tiled unit, one tenant decided to replace my tiles with "imitation hardwood" tiles, and I allowed it. After it was done, I thought it looked terrible compared to the plain "off white" ones I had before. With the off white, the units looked clean and big after it's washed and waxed. With colorful throw carpets thrown in, the place looked spectacular.

When the tenant leaves, all I do is wash and wax, get new throw carpets.

The reason I felt "imitation hardwood" tiles looked bad was it doesn't feel at all like floor tiles. The best analogy I can give is I'm looking to go out with a sexy girl, but wound up with a tranvestite in drag, looking nothing like a women. All I can say is "yikes".

In summary, its' been there, done that.

Offline propertymanager

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 06:27:14 am »
I agree with Danny 100%.  We have tried everything and have decided that cheap carpet is the best way to go in rentals.  We are even putting cheap carpet in the bathroom and kitchen (without pad).  The only exception is in our low income apartments  -  we simply paint the wood floors.  Low income tenants can tear up new carpet faster than I can lay it and quite frankly they DON'T DESERVE CARPET!  We also do not refinish wood floors in rentals, because they get all scratched up.  

Lowe's usually has a very attractive cheap Berber for 45-55 cents per square foot.  Sometimes, they even have discoutinued carpet for about 30 cents.  We do not change the pad when we change the carpet unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY and of course we don't change the tack strips either.

Good Luck,

Mike  

www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRichs.com 
This No-Hype, No-Nonsense Book is a step by step course in making money and building wealth with rental properties!  Everything from buying properties at a discount to dealing with terrible tenants.  Now In Paperback!

Offline ericmedem

• Real Estate Wholesaling Guide
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 04:47:22 am »
I have been putting down $.99/sqft laminate in every property that I have been buying and rehabbing lately, even the most low income stuff. It holds up well to tenants and all of their disasters, and wears much better than wood and looks alot better than carpet.  Be sure not to get the really cheap stuff or you can end up with snapped tounges and low resistance to withstand water, Do not put it in bathrooms, be sure to put vinyl or tile entries in because laminate does not have the best abitliy to cope with standing water.

I was contemplating putting down the same same vinyl in some of mine but vinyl has a tendancy to tear, when idiots drag furniture over it.

I am curious as to what other people pay for installation, I pay

.37/sqft vinyl
3.25 yd carpet
1.80/ft tile
1.70/ft laminate, though I typically just have one of my regular employees do it for 15/hr and it ends up about .90/ft
http://www.InvestorsPlayground.com Now FREE!  Just type in your email so I know where to send your FREE 1471 Page Investors "Holy-Grail".  (It's NOT $97 anymore)

Offline DannyTheGreat

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 07:40:41 am »
Eric,

When you say laminate, are you referring to a pergo type flooring?
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."- Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral- After the attack on Pearl Harbor

Offline ericmedem

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 10:00:47 am »
Eric,

When you say laminate, are you referring to a pergo type flooring?

yep. Ok start the lashing, whats wrong with it. just kidding

Eric

"Who could not conquer with such troops as these?"
http://www.InvestorsPlayground.com Now FREE!  Just type in your email so I know where to send your FREE 1471 Page Investors "Holy-Grail".  (It's NOT $97 anymore)

Offline DannyTheGreat

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 10:17:17 am »
I'm sorry (not really) if such a simple question came off as confrontational but it wasn't mean as such.

All I was requesting was clarification and perhaps some additional information. My only experience with pergo flooring has been tearing it up during rehabs. I've never had it installed because it's looked down upon in my retail market as being "fake" hardwood thus undesireable. I've never thought of putting it in rentals for this reason but if you've had positive experienced related to costs, aesthetics and durability, that's what I was curious about.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."- Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral- After the attack on Pearl Harbor

Offline ericmedem

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 10:25:41 am »
I was just playing, questions asked in this forum are many times like the crouching tiger waiting to pounce on the prey. In all instances this prey doesnt care, he just laughs, or if in the wrong mood fights back a little ( not military style though)lol. Laminate does work great in rentals though.

Offline DannyTheGreat

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 10:45:22 am »
Understood.

I'd have concerns about the laminate starting to peel up after being scratched and/or wet for a period of time. This is what I see most often when it's in the houses I rehab. Have you noticed anything like this beginning to happen?

Offline propertymanager

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 10:52:21 am »
Danny,

I've had laminate in rentals and it is rapidly destroyed by tenants, just like everything else.  The only difference is that carpet is much cheaper.  Let's face it, there is no flooring that tenants can't rapidly destroy.  The only question is how much do you want to spend to replace it.  Tenants scratch it all up moving in and out and destroy it when they allow various water sources to leak.

It might be OK for upscale rentals (although I doubt it), but it definitely is not good for low to moderate income rentals.  In upscale rentals, I'd probably just put in the real thing.

Mike  
www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRichs.com 
This No-Hype, No-Nonsense Book is a step by step course in making money and building wealth with rental properties!  Everything from buying properties at a discount to dealing with terrible tenants.  Now In Paperback!

Offline DannyTheGreat

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 10:57:32 am »
I'm thinking that either dirt (with hay overtop if your feeling generous), concrete, or diamond plate stainless steel are the only suitable, long term flooring for low income tenants. Anything else and it should be anticipated you'll be replacing it in the near future.

Offline ElephantNest

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 12:07:15 pm »
I've seen some stained concrete floors that looked like wood, maybe even better. Beautiful.

They can even make the concrete look like tiles, just by staining grout lines in. I was skeptical when I first heard about it,  but after seeing some homes with it, it's probably some of the nicest flooring I've seen, anywhere. Shines like wet wooden flooring. Any color imagineable. Smae with designs.

May not work well for the colder states, but my be something worth looking into.
On my first rehab, a guy hammering on the roof called me a paranoid little weirdo. In morse code.

Offline DannyTheGreat

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 12:43:35 pm »
I agree. Acid stained concrete can be phenomenal looking. Anyone who thinks concrete floors in a residential building is strange, do a google image search for "acid stained concrete" or something similar. The textures, colors, and designs are only limited by your imagination. But again, it goes back to radiant floor heating being a necessity. The combination gives you the absolute best floor for any application in my opinion.

Offline DannyTheGreat

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 12:57:23 pm »
Nice, huh? People think I'm crazy when I tell them I live in a converted warehouse. They just don't know all the possibilities! If you could feasibly put them in a rental property, the only way a disgruntled tenant could mess them up is if they rented a jack hammer.

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines