I Want To Hire A Bird Dog

I understand the wholesaling process very well, but since I work a J.O.B. full time (and in an effort to leverage my time) I want to get a bird dog or two out there finding the junkers for me.

For anyone living in the DC metro area that wants to earn an extra $250/week simply riding around in your own car, For anyone out there who has hired bird dogs in the past, please share your experiences…particularly:

[][][*]
What is the best way to hire a bird dog? Ad in the paper, high schools, forums, etc?

[][][*]
How much should I pay per lead, and what exactly should I be paying for? I was thinking $5 per junker if he/she provides an address and photo.

[][][*]
If I should place an ad in the paper, how should it read? And in what type of publication should I place the ad?

[][][*]
Should I pay a bonus if the deal closes, or is that generally not necessary to get someone to bird-dog? And if so, how much?

I’d appreciate any other relevant info that anyone could provide. I live in the Washington DC metro area. I have set aside an up-front budget of about $800 that I can use to pay the bird dog and for skip tracing.

C’mon, no one here has ever hired a birddog??? Help me out. :slight_smile:

nsu,
how many deals have you done so far?

Honestly, a big fat zero.

However, I’m about as serious a newbie as you’ll ever see. I have a website under construction and a phone hotline that I’m setting up tomorrow. I just finished transcribing a 5-page long hotline script. Biz cards arrived yesterday.

My goal is to wholsale at least one junker before I really get into the other modules of creative real estate investing (lease options, subject-to, optioning, etc) so I can have enough money to crank up the marketing that such ventures require, and also if I need a little bit for down payments.

I’ve asked a few questions before on here and have always received great feedback.

Why do you ask?

I wouldn’t put any ads in the high school unless you want problems with the principal and the parents.
Try advertising in the local paper. $5 per house with picture isn’t much, try offering a bonus if you buy a property (maybe $500).
just my $.02

Thanks Sniper. How much would you suggest I pay per lead if I don’t go with offering a $500 bonus? $7? $10?

Paying per lead is tough because it doesn’t encourage the bird dog to make an effort to provide quality leads. Quality leads turn into a purchase, which is why many wholesalers and rehabbers pay bird dogs when a lead turns into a purchase. For example, I could run out tomorrow and find 100 leads for $10 a piece and you’d pay me $1000, or I could find you 20 quality leads and you buy two of those and give me $1000. So that’d be the same cost to you, but you’d have to weed through 80 fewer garbage leads. Make sense?

I am in Loudoun County, very nice area for rehabs and PRE-FORECLOSURES.

Just to give you an idea, there are 2 big investment groups in this area:
ExpressHomeBuyers (They advertise on TV all the time 800-SELL-2-US) and HomeVestors.

ExpressHomeBuyers pays $3000 per home and HomeVestors $1000, so if you want to have a good birddog, I would suggest you pay by transaction. If I were in your shoes, I would try to pay in that range.

You guys are making a lot of sense…thanks for the info. I’m certainly leaning towards paying at least a $1,000 bonus if a lead turns into a deal. Great advice!

make sure you tell exactly what you need so they won’t just take pictures of every house

Hey NSU 1997,

I’m actually in the DC metro area.

xelkwonx,

Please hit him with an e-mail or a PM…we don’t network openly in the Discussion Forums…

Thanx,

Keith

Sure thing. My appologies to the forum.