We apologize, but the forums are closed for new posts. Click Here To Join The Unemployables Facebook Group

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2022, 01:33:27 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2022, 01:33:27 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Author Topic: HELP!!! - New tenants not paying rent  (Read 13076 times)

Offline yrush2000

Re:HELP!!! - New tenants not paying rent
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 11:16:43 am »
always better to use a lawyer for evictions. The judge may take a hardship on a tennant when the landlord is trying to evict alone. Judges rather deal with lawyers or landlords that know the procedures and paperwork neccessary. They do not have the time to tell you what do to or where to go.
I rememeber my 1st attempt to evict. I really could not afford attorney so tired myself. What a mistake. They gave the story. She was not working for 2months, no unemployement since she lost her hearing to collect, and had 2 little kids. I filed eviction papers about 15days into month. By 1st of month still didnt get a check. We went to court and cried wolf. Judge said she needs time to get on her feet and she has 2 more months to get on her feet. I was pissed. Judge granted her 4months no rent. I ran to a lawyers office, got an appeal, cost me $700bucks and she was out in 2 1/2 weeks.  Asked judge few days later why I didnt get eviction 1st time around. He said your a rookie, not experienced. Hire a lawyer so I can deal with an equal in court and you will get your way. You tried to nickel and dime the legal system like she is doing to you on the rent.
I learned my lesson and now do not mind payng $500 to evict.

Offline propertymanager

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 12:29:28 pm »
Yrush,

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY AN ABOMINATION!!!  If I were you I'd be looking for that judge's job.  I'd write a letter to the editor and file a complaint with the supreme court (or whoever oversees judicial misconduct) in your state.  There is absolutely NO excuse for a judge to ignore the law because he wants you to support his buddies.  

I agree with you about using a lawyer for evictions - especially the first time or two.

Mike
www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRichs.com 
This No-Hype, No-Nonsense Book is a step by step course in making money and building wealth with rental properties!  Everything from buying properties at a discount to dealing with terrible tenants.  Now In Paperback!

Offline surrealstate

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 12:48:32 pm »
Ditto, Mike  :)

Offline yrush2000

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 02:05:05 pm »
Mike

I have come across many landlords getting screwed by judges because of the sad sob stories. You get these tennants that come in with letters showing they are trying to find jobs, saying they are not on drugs ,etc and sometimes they say, give them another month or 2 to get back on their feet.  its crazy..Sometimes I wish we can be like the power company and just hit a switch and your gone like the lights..

Offline deeuutee

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 07:23:03 am »
Well there is another way...

I know someone who has been down this road many times.  He now thinks he has the fastest eviction process in the country.

After working out what it costs in legals and lost rent, not to mention the aggravation, he decided to use some lateral thinking.

When he wants to evict a troublesome tenant, he knocks on the door, shows them a wad of cash, and tells them that the $800 or $1000 is theirs if they and their stuff is gone in two days and the house is (reasonably) clean.

Has worked every time, and he figures he is ahead because he hasn't had to go through the court process, pay legals, possibly get a judge willing to give the tenant time, and he gets the place back in three or four days instead of weeks.

He bribes them to leave in other words.  This guy has 200+ properties so he probably knows what he is doing....

Offline propertymanager

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 07:46:42 am »
Yrush,

Sob stories have nothing to do with the eviction laws (at least in Ohio).  If the judges aren't following the law - YOU should do something about it.  Organize your local landlords and cause a ruckus!  Put some pressure on the judge.  Letters to the editor and filing complaints with the overseeing authority are very effective.  GET INVOLVED!

Deeuutee,

I do not bribe tenants to follow the lease.  When you do this, all you're doing is encouraging your other tenants to rip you off - VERY FOOLISH!  In addition, you are ripping off your fellow landlords by not having an eviction show up on the tenant's record.  This riff-raff makes the rounds from landlord to landlord.  By evicting them, every landlord can see what they've done and refuse to rent to them.  Maybe spending a little time on the street will help adjust their priorities.

Mike
This No-Hype, No-Nonsense Book is a step by step course in making money and building wealth with rental properties!  Everything from buying properties at a discount to dealing with terrible tenants.  Now In Paperback!

Offline yrush2000

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 08:13:28 am »
Deeuutee,

I know someone who does that as well. He says he will pay them to leave but it will count as a rental payment. They leave and he says I have to pay your back rent first before I pay you.  
He has a contract they sign which basically states that after they move out, he will pay them Xamount of dollars. The proceeds will first go towards back rent to him and then they keep the rest. He never offers more than they owe so they get nothing and can not go back in since they lawfully left.

Offline surrealstate

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2006, 09:08:31 am »
Some interesting stuff here.....

I've often heard that paying out a bad tenant works well  :-\.  Although, there isn't a record giving constructive notice with the county recorders office.  It seems to be a fast and feisable solution to the alternative of the eviction process.

Another angle worth noting might be filing a document that the tenant was evicted even if you pay them off to leave the property?  This would give constructive notice to the general public while getting the tenant out of there quickly.

Would this work?  

Offline Rich_in_CT

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2006, 11:27:20 am »
Boy I wish my landlord paid to get rid of deadbeats.  When I planned to move I would not pay the last few months of rent then take the $1000 offered, that would put a few thousands bucks tax free into my pocket....

Offline yrush2000

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 01:17:22 pm »
Wonder if you can somehow 1099 the unpaid rent and income to them..

Offline propertymanager

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2006, 02:07:04 pm »
surrealstate,

No, you can not file a document saying that they've been evicted if you've paid them to leave.  All that will get you is a lawsuit from the tenants that you've just lied about.  If you didn't go to court - they were'nt evicted.

Rich,

If I stopped paying my mortgage payment for the next few months, do you think my bank would give me about $10K to leave?  Sounds like a sweet deal!

Mike

Offline Rich_in_CT

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 02:19:51 pm »
Quote from: propertymanager link=board=28;threadid=19682;start=25#msg95632
Sounds like a sweet deal!

Mike
[quote
That's what I was thinking, where do I sign up?

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines