Working with Homeowners Going thru Divorce

If anyone out there is experienced in working with folks going thru a divorce, then this question is for you! I currently have a couple in mortgage trouble. The husband has left and gotten a new place to live, the wife is still at the house and refuses to cooperate.

I’ve been told that the only option for couples in this type of situation is to sell it or re-fi (if possible). The problem is the wife can’t re-fi it (can’t afford it), and she’s not willing to sell either. Both have excellent credit, and the husband is concerned that his credit will be ruined, thus preventing him from purchasing another home in the near future.

HELP!! ??? IS THERE ANY OTHER CREATIVE ALTERNATIVE FOR THEM? I’D REALLY LIKE TO HELP THEM WORK THROUGH THIS WITHOUT GETTING FORECLOSED ON! THANKS!

Yes, I think that the best way to deal with divorce is to sell. The wife/husband does not want to sell it and can’t afford it? Well, then I think that there is nothing you can do. Sometimes you just have to walk away. And get ready to deal with stubborn and oftentimes just stupid people that do not have a solid graps of simple reality: they will lose thier house. Period. BONUS: ruin credit history for the foreseeable future (a.k.a. long time).

I am assuming that your client is the husband. If so, advise him to get a really good lawyer. Although I doubt it, there may be a legal way to force a sale.

Good luck!

Any lawyers specializing in family affairs in the house?

you need to talk to her again ask more questions why if she knows she cant afford is she keeping? is it to get back at him or she wants to stay in the area for kids and school you need more info before you can try to help

Thanks for your responses! I really appreciate it. I do know for a fact that the wife doesn’t want to cooperate just to get back at him. She also knows that the only reason the husband is still paying 1/2 the mortgage is because he doesn’t want to ruin his credit. It’s a really awful situation for these two.

I just thought perhaps there was some other loophole to help him get out of the house now without ruining his credit since she won’t agree to sell. What’s this about legally “forcing” a sale. That can only be done after the divorce right? Anybody?

well i may have a possible solution if i know some of the numbers…how much is owed whats arv …days on market for a house on the market to sell or known as dom…current payment…i can think of two sollutions off the top my head that if she wants to get back at him might sound good