who watches flip this house?

We decided to follow up on a house shown the other night on Flip This House:Atlanta.

at the end of the show they showed someone making an offer and they claim the house sold in the high 2’s

well this house is vacant, noone seems to have bought it and the rehab is garbage. The hardwoods have white stuff like concrete or grout on them. theres a hole in the floor. The fireplaces look like crap and the insides were obviously spray painted. The windows have paint all over them. You can see the old paint all around the window frame. The front door jam has huge gouges and damage and was just painted.

And this is what I could see through the front window!!!

the neighbor said it was staged

guess you cant believe everything you see on TV

I like that show, I find it hard to believe that you could stage a rehab. Are you sure that was the correct address? How did you find the address?

the rehab was done. its just REALLY crappy work. theres a hole in the floor after a rehab??? theres paint all over the windows, dead landscaping, etc

nobody bought it. theres no lockbox, no for sale sign anywhere and its not on the MLS. whats going on?

the neighbor said alot of what went on was staged and everyone was putting on makeup, etc etc

what gets me is how they make it look on TV to be so nice but its really crappy. Also the selling price is iffy at 290ish.

yes i have the right house. they give you the address on the show like 10 times. we actually considered buying a house across the street from it, but the #'s are REALLY weird. the house next to it sold in the 3’s while another one 2 doors down sold in the mid 1’s. similiar houses

I like to watch any of thoughs shows.I like to see how they handle different problems and how the house comes out at the end.There are a couple of different shows out now with people fixing up and flipping.That wouldn’t be giving a good name for people that do this if you would just leave a house like that and it not even sell it.Maybe if they did leave that house like that it is for a reason.Maybe they are going to tear it down and it was just a stage house.I dont know something doesnt seem right.Thanks,Michele

If you watch these shows you know these projects are obviously done by amateurs. You and I do this regularly and you know how hard it is to do and get right. A friend of mine bought a house that appraised for $190k for $115k fixed it up right and placed it on the market for $150k and had a hard time selling it (the real estate agent he was using was not from this area and the area agents were telling prospective buyers that they could get the house for $120k etc. He got one of the local agents and the deal went in 2 months). He knows what he is doing and had a hard time moving it. Can you imagine how hard it is for these yahoos? Watch these shows more carefully and you never see these houses sold. They tell you what they are priced at or what they hope to get but you don’t meet Mr. and Mrs. Homebuyer putting down earnest money or anything like that. They usually show real estate agents saying that they can get some price out of the house.

I watched the Original series with Richard Davis of Trademark properties. I enjoyed his show very much. Trademark properties only showed one property selling throughout the whole season. And yes they did show the exchange of earnest money in check form. I have a few friends in South Carolina who know of the projects that Trademark did and a few are still for sale. Trademark never says that they will sell these properties instantly like the new shows in San Antonio and Atlanta.

I fully agree about the new shows. I saw errors all over the ATL show. I haven’t been by the houses but you could see paint on the windows and there time frame and budgets even seem ridiculous in comparison to the way they run a crew.

Just my opinion.

Joe

I watched Property Ladder for the first time the other day. The subject property was bought for a little over 1.1million and was located near Hollywood CA. One thing I didnt get on that show was the fact that there was two couples that were partnered on this house. The whole time it was one of the husbands and his hired help doing all the work. The other husband was away on business the whole time. The wife of the husband away on business was peed off at the other couple for not getting it done on time. In my opinion if it is your first flip and you know you have a short time to get it done you get you spouses to help and you make sure you are going to have some time off to help with the project.

At the end of the show they had 70,000 invested into it, and had a list price of 1.4 million. After 3 mortgage payments they finally got an offer and only netted 17,000 after realtor fees and closing costs! Hmm. Thats not very much money to go around 4 people.

two couples that were partnered on this house. The whole time it was one of the husbands and his hired help doing all the work. The other husband was away on business the whole time. The wife of the husband away on business was peed off at the other couple for not getting it done on time.
That is my thinking about partnering in general. If I can do a project that will net $100k if I partner with 3 other guys, but I can get a project that will net me $25k all by myself, I can’t see a need to partner. I have been doing this for about 2 yeas now and can’t ever find a partnering opportunity that will get me as much as what I can do another deal for all by myself. I guess I keep running into the wrong partners.

I loved the show when Trademark was running the game, too. Living just outside Atlanta, and knowing the area it doesn’t surprise me that the house is vacant with no lockbox. That area is #1 in the nation for mortgage fraud. Atlanta boasts the #1 and #3 slots for mortgage fraud nationwide.

They had a straw buyer. The house probably sold, but it was all fraudulent. That house will rot where it sits without one more person coming in now that it’s overleveraged and poorly rehabbed. The appraiser was involved, the closing attorney was involved, and the lender was probably involved.

It happens down here all the time. The only reason the actual inside of the house got semi-rehabbed is because of the TV cameras. Otherwise they would have rehabbed the front, taken a picture of the front of the house for “proof” that it was rehabbed, and sold the house to the straw buyer that way. “Don’t worry, 6 months of vacant payments and rehab costs will be in escrow for you.” My right eye!

I have a very good friend who has 2 foreclosures on his credit because he was a straw buyer but nobody told him (he USE to have an 800 credit score). The closing attorney that closed his 2 transactions is now rotting in the federal pokey. You gotta check and double check down here. Due diligence takes on a whole new meaning when you consider the amount of fraud going on down here.

Big Cheese

What is a straw buyer? How does that work?

This is gonna be long. I apologize in advance…

A straw buyer is a fake buyer. The guy is lured in to being a ‘real estate investor’ by someone offering to “use their credit” to buy houses. They don’t have to do any of the research, they just sign some paperwork, pay approx. $5K, and at closing they receive a check for some ‘up front incentive’.

I’m trivializing it, of course, but I see it all the time in downtown Atlanta. That’s why I don’t buy down there. A certain number of payments are allegedly kept in escrow, along with the rehab costs. The seller even says they’ll find a buyer for the new investor.

The buyer is now suppose to depend on the attorney to give him the escrow money as its needed for repairs or mortgage payments - kind of like hard money where you get paid after you’ve done the work and paid out of pocket.

The money isn’t really in escrow. The buyer and the attorney are in cahoots (sp?) and dance off with the money. Like I said, the appraiser is in on it as well, and gives a high appraisal. If you can still get in touch with the seller, he tells you that he’s working on it (he probably answered the phone because he didn’t recognize your number. Otherwise you’ll get voicemail forever).

Remember when Judd said, “we actually considered buying a house across the street from it, but the #'s are REALLY weird. the house next to it sold in the 3’s while another one 2 doors down sold in the mid 1’s. similiar houses”

That’s because of all the fraud. Straw buyers are duped into letting someone else use their credit to buy the house, it’s overleveraged, and then it goes to foreclosure while the seller, attorney, lender, and appraiser make off like bandits. Then they either declare bankruptcy (this was before the new laws) or you never see them again…or they wind up in prison.

Fraud down here is rampant in downtown Atlanta. Most lenders blacklist several zip codes and neighborhoods because of it and won’t lend there unless the comps show that the houses have been sold using a Realtor (I’m not making this stuff up - I got my info from a review appraiser). They have very strict guidelines and only specific Realtors, appraisers, and attorneys that they’ll use to lend on a house. Everything has to be done the lender’s way 100% or it’s no deal.

Also, my review appraiser told me that he use to have a lender contact him and tell him that he needed a house to appraise for a certain amount. Kind of like asking him to appraise an outhouse for a million dollars. When he said he couldn’t do it, the lender replied, “That’s ok. I’ve got plenty of crooked appraisers who’ll do it for me. I just like to call you once in a while to get some legit appraisals done in order to keep the Dept of Banking and Finance off my back.”

Yikes! I wasn’t kidding when I said that some investors take pictures of the facade of a house to show to a lender that the rehab work has been done and there’s nothing behind the front…just one solid wall of fake house. Othertimes they’ll have appliances and fixtures sitting in a room (like toilets, tubs, and pedestal sinks) to make it look like they’ve been installed and they’re just sitting on the floor - no plumbing no nothing.

On my blog I rant a lot about seeing too many investors on the 5 o’clock news for this stuff and it’s just going to get worse.

Big Cheese

Is it implied that trademark may not be entirely legit?

Thats for the info.

Absolutely not!

This flip was done in Atlanta and not by Trademark. I have seen Richard’s work and can attest that they are on the up and up. I never saw anything on the show when Trademark was in charge that would lead me to believe that they are not legit and do things by the book.

Plus, their show on renovating that resaurant was absolutely phenomenal. They did it out of the kindness of their hearts and a yearning to keep good businesses in business and rebuild their community.

As far as I know, Trademark is 100% on the up and up and I would love to see them take over the show again.

Big Cheese

Good becuase I really like those guys. Why are they not on it now?

Just as a point: Trademark is in Charleston, SC. I have only ever seen them deal within state. They may have done some houses out of state but not that I’ve ever seen…they’ve done a few ‘upstate’ in Greenville, etc.

Keith

My opinion (however much it’s worth) is that they are really busy. The Charleston area is really hot right now. They also have an office in Greenville, SC.

Greenville hasn’t had a tax assessment done in over 15 years. The homes are all underpriced and ripe for the picking. Mostly 4 sided brick ones, too.

Between those two areas I think Trademark has their hands full. Plus its probably pretty stressful having the camera follow you around all the time.

I’d be willing to bet that Richard (like I know him. HA!) also wants to step back and let his team do what he pays them for…to buy houses FOR him without him having to be there.

He’s reached the level now that he probably wants to play more golf, vacation more, and not be involved in every single transaction. In other words, spend more time ON the business instead of IN it.

Again, just my 2 cents as a loyal follower of the show.

Big Cheese

If you check A&E’s website forums, there was a huge dispute between Richard and A&E. Richard is moving his show to Discovery/TLC and is suing A&E and their production company

ALOT of people hate the new flip this house and want trademark back.

Way to be on the ball, Judd! I can’t believe it turned into some big beef between the two. I’d be happier with Trademark on TLC - and get rid of that horrible Property Ladder!

That show makes us investors look like we don’t know a hair brush from a paint brush. It really paints us in a bad light.

And I agree, I want Trademark back.

Big Cheese

…but they could sell Ginger to A&E. What an oxygen thief!

Keith

I absolutely love those shows, Flip this house. the most recent one that I watched involved Sacramento’s Del Paso heights and the two kids purchased the worst house in the worst neighborhood to try to do a flip.

I think they were twenty years old and used credit cards and savings to do the rennovations. The house was full of dry rot and the plumbing was garbage. these kids did not own their own house but were trying to do rehabs to get enough money for a downpayment on their own home.

These kids did not get a home inspection that would have costs them $400 - $500 ending up spending over $3,000 for plumbing.
Bought the house for $185,000 sold it for $249? ended up with 10K after all their hard work. Love these shows. Oh, the kid quit his job so he could complete the rennovation… I drove by the house he did the work and the house looks good and for the neighborhood He’s lucky he made anything.

The rule is worst house in the best neighborhood.