We apologize, but the forums are closed for new posts. Click Here To Join The Unemployables Facebook Group

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2022, 06:21:52 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2022, 06:21:52 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Author Topic: Do I need to change locks?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline DFW_REI

Do I need to change locks?
« on: July 28, 2006, 12:49:40 pm »
I just leased as property. It was listed through an agent. The lease was executed properly and now the tenents are moving in this week.... in Texas do I have change all locks before they move in?  Is this required? or this is something I should tenets pay for it?  What is my liability and responsiblities....

Thanks,
DFW
Investor Looking for Single Family/Duplex and other small units at great discount. PM me for any good deal

Offline Inspector

• ProSpect Inspectors, Inc.
Re:Do I need to change locks?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 06:15:41 pm »
You don't have to change the locks.  The only requirement that you need to ensure on a rental property is to make sure there is a deadbolt that has a keyed entry on the outside, and a lock that is not accessible from the outside.  The only time that really gets checked is on Section 8 properties or in areas that have special landlord permit requirements like Garland.  My company manages about 350 single family homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.  If you have any other questions, feel free to give me a call.

Lee Warren
Licensed Home Inspector #8411
Prospect Inspectors, Inc.
Real Estate Broker
Prospect Realty, Inc.
(469) 682-0341

Offline MtnLand

Re:Do I need to change locks?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 12:25:08 pm »
I'm not in Texas, but I change the locks as soon as the previous tennant gets out.  I have changed them in front of former tennants so they know there is never a reason to return to the property.  This is with good tennants or bad (eveicted) tennants.

I changed the locks on the day of closing (before closing if possible) Who knows how may sets of keys are floating around to the old locks.

I am not a major investor like many on this board... I currently only have 2 properties... changing the lock sets out is not much of an investment for me....  

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines