New REI member need educatioanl help

Hello everyone, I found this site through a REI Club. You all have put a lot of good information in this site and I congratulate every one of you for doing such a good job. I am just getting in the rehab business and I need to educate myself on rehabbing, flipping, and wholesaling. I would appreciate if anyone knows about any good course and/or books on the subject. There are a lot of people selling courses on the subject, but is hard to tell which one is worth the money. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Wil

Welcome, ;D

Go up to the far left section of this site and click on Real Estate Articles, Recommended Readings etc. There is a wealth of information there.

Read through the posts, there is a wealth of information here.

Thank you for your assistance and have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Wil

There are three aspects to doing rehabs.

The first is buying right. The second is figuring out what adds the most value for the buck in your area. The third is knowing all about what taxes you’ll be liable for as a Real Estate Dealer/Developer, which is what the IRS will consider you. You will want to look into precisely which business entity will fit your situation. C-corps, S-corps, LLCs, and Limited Partnerships all have benefits and drawbacks.

Also, a thorough knowlege of construction is necessary. Don’t even consider rehabbing if you do not have a background in construction. There is a helluva lot more to rehabbing than you see on HGTV, and just throwing a coat of paint on the house will not add $50,000 in value. If you don’t have the knowlege, you’ll have to sub out every single aspect of the rehab, which will cut severely into your profit margin.

I personally worked 8 years in construction, from rough framing to roofing to siding. However, in the past two years of self-employment in the Real Estate industry I have also become proficient in drywalling, trim work, landscaping, plumbing, electrical, masonry, windows, flooring (carpet, hardwood refinishing, vinyl, and ceramic tile), and above all… vision!

Not only do you have to know all of this, but you have to have the VISION necessary to see what a rehab property will look like upon completion. I have spent countless hours looking through “idea” books for kitchens, baths, bedrooms, and landscaping… and use it all daily. As your experience grows, obviously this will become easier.

There. That’s the long version of it.

Thank yolu for your advise.

Wil